Kick those cigarette butts with us!! Join up now for fun, friendly, free support with your quit.

Author Topic: Day 8 - Doing ok!  (Read 191 times)

mattyb

Day 8 - Doing ok!
« on: October 01, 2017, 12:17:52 pm »
Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to say hello - this is my first post and hopefully many more to follow.
I plan to ride through all the way to the penthouse and it would be great to chat with fellow 'quitters' along the way.

Matty B! :foundbeer:
Quit Date - 23Sep17 - Cold Turkey

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
Re: Day 8 - Doing ok!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 12:57:44 pm »
Welcome Matty. and Hello to the someone from the Eastern States.  I've been the only Aussie on here for ages. We did have a Bondi Guy join awhile ago (not you?)

Getting through that first week is great going.  :D

Are you using any aids to quit, eg champix (as I did) or patches etc.  Maybe you're just going cold turkey.  Which ever works for you Matty and good luck with your quit.

Do post often and if you get into trouble just ask for help.  Oops just noticed you are going cold turkey. Great respect from me for anyone who goes cold turkey :foundbeer:

Lostie
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:51:53 pm by Lostie »

The following users thanked this post: mattyb

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 01:49:19 pm »
Hi @mattyb, welcome to the madhouse!  Fab to have another Aussie on board, our Lostie has been the only Antipodean for yonks!

Well done for making it through that all important first week - that's a massive challenge and you've already got that tucked under your belt, well done that man!

Feel free to have a pootle around and settle yourself in, we're a friendly, if a bit barmy, group and happily chat about stuff that isn't quit related as well as running to the rescue if someone's struggling and cheering loudly at every milestone achieved.

Glad to have you with us  :)
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 02:07:54 pm »
Glad you're feeling great on Day 8!! Very happy to have you join our crew of quitters and I can assure you that having the support of others who have been through or are going through all of the rollercoaster that quitting brings is one of the most effective ways to support your quit. Plus, you should be awake at the same times as Lostie  ;D. We have had people from all over the world and I remember long, long ago there was a guy who I think was from New Zealand rather than Australia, but he put aside his 'cigarette' money and bought a house!!
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

mattyb

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 02:33:56 pm »
Hey all,

Thanks for the nice replies - yes Im the same bondi guy ;) Things didn't work out last time, but 'I'm back baby' - lol.
I've been thru a bit of a roller coaster the last six months, but never stopped wanting to quit - so here I am.

MB

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 03:48:39 pm »
Welcome Back @mattyb and HUGE congratulations on making it to Day 8!  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer: Always good to get that first week under your belt.

Sorry you've been through the mill. Will hope the remainder of this year (and the whole of next year) proves to be a better time for you. I'm sure this time the quit will stick come what may.  :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Whippetmom

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 03:58:13 pm »
Hi Mattyb, as a relative newbie on here myself may I say "welcome". Everyone on here is really supportive and will help all they can with your quit. Keep us posted as to how you're doing  :)

mattyb

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 02:48:45 am »
Hey All,

I'll definitely keep you posted and try to make an update at least once a week and also on some key milestones.
My quit has been surprisingly smooth so far - but I know its very early days so must remain vigilent every hour of every day ;)
I'll tell you about how I ended up starting my quit this time in a future post.

Stay strong all - MB

The following users thanked this post: tea, Skiddaw, Whippetmom

Max414

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 11:44:27 am »
Welcome back mate ,let's make this the one  :foundbeer:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

The following users thanked this post: Whippetmom, mattyb

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 03:34:39 pm »
@mattyb  just wondered how things were going with you. Hope your quit is still strong :)

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 08:05:08 pm »
Is it waste time or sleepy time in Australia?
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

mattyb

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 12:32:26 pm »
Hi All,

I'm glad to report that I'm still going well - quit is intact!
I'm looking forward to 3 weeks this weekend - ooh yea!

I mentioned I would discuss a bit about my quit which was on 23 September - well I got a really bad flu the day before and simply didnt feel like smoking and thought 'why dont I go for it this time - the flu will mask the craves during the first few days anyway'.

Ok that was partly true but I still craved a bit even while I was wallowing in bed from the flu - of all things - on a business trip to Melbourne!
But as the flu subsided, like 5 days or so later, it was dawning upon me that I got a 'free start' to quitting and really shouldn't let it slip away.

By now I'm nearly over the final fatigue aspects of post flu and my chest is totally clear - I was a 5-6 smoke a day and didn't really have a terrible cough.

I found an iphone app which can record audio journal entries/dictation etc and I've been making little updates to doucment my journey and listen back hopefully many months later...
I also use the timer app in case I have a crave - 3 minutes does the trick.. though my craves are down to 1 per day on average, sometimes none.

Having said all this, still early days and making sure to remind myself that all the hard work to date only has meaning if I protect the quit - every hour of every day.

:vader:

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 12:37:34 pm »
Good to see you still going strong MB, you're coming up on that first month and getting into a good rhythm  010

Yep, quitting when you're poorly does seem to help, I guess the rotten way quitting makes us feel gets lost in the rotten way the bug makes us feel and that helps us through the early days.  As you say, you got a "free start" and now it's all about keeping going and protecting your quit.

Crack on mate, I reckon we'll be celebrating your arrival in Month 1 before you know it!
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

mattyb

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 12:56:25 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement.

btw heres a fun fact: The average packet of 20 cigarettes in Oz is now between $22 and $28 and around $32 from petrol stations or convenience stores.
although that alone didnt deter me since I could always find the 'spare change' - this has to be close to highest in the world and the 'change' is slowly going to pile up for me  ;D

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 01:18:39 pm »
Glad to see you're still around and quit :)

Cripes, I knew cigs had gone up. I'd hate to think how much mine would cost now. I would buy packs of 50 by the carton.