Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Hi everyone. Day 15 of cold turkey!!  (Read 1986 times)

Wee me :)

• Stop date.. 1st August 2017 ...
Hi everyone. Day 15 of cold turkey!!
« on: August 16, 2017, 03:17:50 pm »
Hi, newbie here, on day 15 of cold turkey after 30ish yrs and I  have been really, really struggling last few days so whilst searching for some hope I  came across this forum and realised it's all part of the battle..haha  But my oh my the wee voice in my head is driving me crazy  009 saying things like.. you want a puff .. you need one.. your body is screaming for one.. Something is different this time and I know I don't want or need one and have no intention of buying a packet as I'm at the shops 2 or 3 times a day and it doesn't bother me but I just wish the voice would back off a wee bit. I've now started singing a few apt lines from a hue and cry song every time the voice starts because my quit voice is louder than my demon voice.. It has to be.. Sorry for the ramble.  :foundbeer:  :foundbeer:

tea

• Administrator
Re: Hi everyone. Day 15 of cold turkey!!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 03:36:06 pm »
You bash that naughty voice with a cave man bat and bash it hard!! You are doing it and if you can do 15 days then you can do 50 days. I will say that I think that anything strong tasting to take your mind off it helps when you do cold turkey and for me the Fisherman's Friends were just the ticket but strong mints, sherbet lemons or aniseed balls might also do the trick.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 03:59:57 pm »
Haha yeah I've  got a lot of nippy sweeties on the go but haven't had fisherman's friends in years used to love them must go and get some but I'll do it tomorrow as rain is stoating  down here but thanks for the tip. I also love a bit of liquorice to chew on & midget gems.. loved chocolate to start with but does nothing for me now.. Geese just reading this back  & thinking how unhealthy my choices are at the moment but to be honest  chewing on a carrot isn't my kinda thing. Haha  :)

Titch

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 04:03:46 pm »
Hello wee me and very well done on getting through those first 15 days.  Youve done the hard work so you keep bellowing out those songs and soon the voice of that pesky nicotine demon will be blasted into oblivion.

P.S. chewing on carrot sticks isnt my thing either.  Try freezing some grapes and chewing and sucking on those instead. 
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

The following users thanked this post: Wee me :)

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 04:21:57 pm »
Thanks Titch.. I am determined to do it. Just didnt expect how bad it would be at this point. Don't get me wrong there are good days in between and I know this will pass but I feel exhausted mentally and physically at this point with not sleeping well and then my wee demon nipping my head what feels like evey 5 mins..haha

Thanks for the grape tip  sounds good. I do love a grape so I will add them to list for tomorrow too  006

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 05:06:14 pm »
Ooh I do like liquorice!! I am going to get me a sherbet fountain at the corner shop tonight!!

I think that it was about week 3 that I suddenly started sleeping like a baby, seriously the best sleep ever. Plus a couple of months in my feet never felt cold any more which was blooming lovely and well worth quitting just for that.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 05:28:34 pm »
Oh my ..  Never even thought about my cold feet.. Been like that for as long as I remember..well that's another thing to add to my positives list.. My my it's getting longer every day 008

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 06:14:08 pm »
A BIG FAT WELCOME to the forum from me too, @Wee me :)  ;D

I have SO much admiration for anyone who can quit cold turkey. I know I couldn't have done it and I hold my hat up to you, I really do. I hope you're patting yourself on the back because if not you certainly should be.  007 007

Day 15 is a fantastic achievement and before you know it you'll be counting in months and then in years (honestly, it's surprising how quickly it creeps up on you). In the meantime, all you need to do is to keep putting one foot in front of the other, eat liquorice (or whatever else floats your boat  :))) and post whenever you feel the need. Someone is always around and it'll be a pleasure and a privilege to share the journey with you.  :D
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: Wee me :)

Mina

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 08:35:17 pm »
Welcome @Wee me :) and congraulations on 15 days, hope you are suitably proud of yourself.

I just hit three months pretty much Cold Turkey since I gave up on patches after mine fell off on day three. I never thought I would get so far but like wiser people than me have said, one step at a time, one day at a time and make N.O.P.E your mantra.
My somewhat bizarre quit tip is sucking on a slice of lemon  006

Good luck

M
X

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 06:23:06 pm »
 Thanks @Skiddaw  and @Mina  great  advice  from you both  though not sure I'm brave enough to suck a lemon right enough but I'll add it to my shopping list as I might just need it..haha

Sounds strange but I've been craving liquorice and now nuts too for last few days so stocked up on them both today though couldn't decide what nuts so spent a fortune on every nut Asda had as well as every nippy and chewy sweety I could find  006

The following users thanked this post: Lostie

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 10:32:52 am »
Morning @Wee me :)  :)

With me it was sugar-free gum. I became a real connoisseur of the stuff. I chewed constantly for around 18 months and even now I still find the odd piece of gum in bags/coat pockets etc.
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 01:05:40 pm »
But be careful of sugar free sweets to a point, we remember the incident with @Teflon and the peach Smints....

Teflon

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 07:31:32 am »
But be careful of sugar free sweets to a point, we remember the incident with @Teflon and the peach Smints....
yikes!

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 10:58:00 am »
@Wee me :)   How are things going with you ?

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 01:40:29 pm »
 Hi @Lostie, thanks for asking, would love to say going well.
It is as I'm on day 20  :D and it isn't as had my first mega stresser on Friday and without a thought I ran to the kitchen for my packet of puffs only to remember when I got there that I had given up and at that point I had such a feeling of sadness and Ioss that I never had before. It has continued with every craving I get now... I'm even looking at people who are standing having a puff at bins and things like that and thinking oh how I miss my comfort/sanity puff. I keep trying to tell myself it's just my head playing tricks and be strong. I am, I think but crazy how feel worse now than first couple of wks and just worry whats coming next and if I'll be strong enough to cope with it.

Oh and a big thanks to @tea for the fisherman's friends tip they have been brilliant although I've sooked that many think I've killed my taste buds..!! haha