Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1799 times)

Lrimas

Hello
« on: August 13, 2017, 03:22:10 pm »
So, thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself.

I quit smoking 11 days ago after being a heavy smoker for 8 months. Before that I was nicotine free for about 2 years after being a heavy smoker for 15 years. I had a few cigarettes at the work Christmas party and managed to smoke 8 months with the "I will just smoke for one more day" mindset.

Finally decided that "one more day" was getting a bit much 13 days ago. I quit smoking, then had a minor setback 11 days ago so reset my timer.

It's been fairly easy to quit smoking this time. I listened to the Alan Carr book on Audible and came to realise that smoking doesn't really do anything for me. I had the "I will never smoke again" revelation which was pretty amazing... until last night....

I had a few beers with my bf and when we went home he asked me: "should I get us some cigarettes?" I replied: "No" but I really hoped that he would ignore me and go and get some. Had he done that I would have started smoking again  002

Alcohol is sooooo dangerous.

Anyway, that is why I'm here. Last night scared me and I realised that I needed a bit of support. And maybe I can provide a bit of support as well.

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 04:42:31 pm »
Hello from me @Lrimas   Glad you joined and posted.  We will do all we can to help you with your quit. :)  As you know you have passed the worst part, being the 1st week.

NOPE Not One Puff Ever helped me stay quit and the thought of having to go through that first week again. Sounds like it isn't  too bad for you, but you know you will still have to keep your guard up.

Some have even stopped alcohol until they feel secure in their quit.  I'm glad your friend didn't go and get any last night ;D

Please post whenever you like.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:00:14 pm »
Hi @Lrimas and a Big Fat Welcome to the forum from me too.  ;D

Alcohol can be SO dangerous can't it? The only way I could cope was by going more or less on the wagon for a month or two. By the time I had a proper night out again I'd reached the point where I no longer associated drinking with smoking in the same way. Well done for not caving in and sending BF out for a pack of fags- it would have been so easy and it speaks volumes for your determination to make this the Final Quit that you didn't succumb.  :hug: :hug:

Really glad you've joined the forum family- we'll do all we can to support you and we have a right good time too!  008 :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 06:00:31 pm »
Hello from me too. You are very welcome, it is always good to have new people join. I think that for me going up the ladder of rooms day by day and week by week kept me on the straight and narrow. Having all of these other people helped me because it's the staying quit that's tricky when there's so much going on isn't it. You post as much as you like, there will always be someone around popping in.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Lrimas

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 12:49:33 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome  006

So boyfriend has started smoking again. I'm not really surprised as he has been tempting me to agree that we should start again on more than one occasion.

In a way it is good as he won't be tempting me anymore, but it also means that there will be cigarettes laying around at home making it much easier to smoke in a week moment. Think I'm going to read the book again and make sure I'm prepared for this evening.

I also think posting in the ladders is a good idea. It is a nice visible presentation of progress.

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 01:25:47 pm »
Stay strong @Lrimas   Does your boyfriend now smell like this to you?   002 002

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 03:07:25 pm »
My boyfriend smokes. I quite like the smell on him mixed in with his aftershave but not the smell whilst he's actually doing the deed. But we don't have to do everything the same; he pees standing up and puts used towels in the clean towel bale and I'm not going to start doing those things either.  007
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Lrimas

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 08:34:36 am »
Hmmmm. Can't say I'm enjoying the smell  002

The scary thing is that is how I used to smell!

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. In fact, I didn't want one at all. I asked him not to leave cigarettes around and to tell me that I have to go and buy my own cigarettes if I want one. This should keep me safe in weak moments

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 08:54:34 am »
I was a bit shocked about the smell and to think I smelt like that :) If a smoker walks any where near me now I can smell them.

After I had quit I saw a friend who always gives me a hug and I said I don't smell anymore and she agreed.  I hated to think what I had put people through before, without realizing ;D

I should add that I don't mind the smell of someone smoking near me it's just the stale smell I hate.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:56:10 am by Lostie »

Titch

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 09:10:19 am »
Hi Lrimas and well done on staying strong and not giving in like your boyfriend.  when I first gave up my husband smoked (he vapes now) and he kept telling me to help myself to one of his if I wanted one. Think he was terrified that I would actually quit and was doing everything he could to tempt me back to smoke.  Unfortunately for him that backfired and made me even more determined to quit.   If you do have a weak moment - which hopefully you want - then log on here and post and then wait for 3 replies.  Pretty sure that By then the crave will have gone and you will still be smoke free.    Keep going.  You are doing brilliantly.
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

Max414

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 11:05:05 pm »
Hiya and big welcome -looking forward to helping you make this amazing change  :hug:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Mina

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 08:39:55 pm »
Welcome @Lrimas - hope you're still going strong, stick with it - you may not know it yet but this is the best decision you have ever made - the freedom is awesome, you will smell wonderful, you will save money, live longer, enjoy life without that 'when can I top up the nicotine' angst.....

Good luck, and keep us posted.

M
x