Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Back again  (Read 560 times)

LyndsayG

Back again
« on: August 09, 2017, 01:17:07 pm »
Hello

Well here I am back again for yet another try :-[.

This has to be my unpteenth attempt at quitting but I've been psyching myself for to it for ages - and of course putting it off.

I have to break the cycle of promising myself every time I buy cigarettes that this packet will be my last. I've even bought them with the promise that they are there 'just in case'. How pathetic is that when I always end up smoking them!

I've reached the stage now where I'm even embarrassed to buy them - the fact that I still smoke, that someone I know might see me buying them because I'm a secret smoker, the cost of them, and all the other reasons that reinforce why smoking is such a bad and harmful habit. Sadly none of this has been enough to make me just see sense and quit for good though.

To tell you just what a hopeless case I've become I actually have one of those plastic cigarette packets to transfer my cigarettes in to just to avoid looking at the awful pictures that are displayed on cigarette packaging these days. 

Well today is the day I'm going to stop buying cigarettes. I am going to stop smoking today and stop smoking I hope for good.

I have one cigarette left - and yes, being the sad case that I am, I'll probably smoke it. The funny thing is that I honestly don't really think I enjoy smoking now, it's just become a habit I haven't been strong enough to break. Already I'm experiencing that ridiculous nervous feeling that comes when I know I'm running short of cigarettes but I'm not going to give in to it.

Feeling a bit scared but very determined. I'll keep reading and close to the forum this time.

Just wish I'd given up years ago but better late than never. :-[

Titch

Re: Back again
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 02:54:25 pm »
Lyndsay your post is an exact replica of how I built up to my quit (or not a quit as the case was).  i went one step further and smoking in secret wasnt enough as there werent enough times when I could get a quick fix without people seeing so I bought herbal cigarettes from holland and barrett, threw the cigarettes away and replaced them with my menthol mayfairs.  Ahh I could smoke much more freely by telling my family they were herbal.  Eventually one of my children cottoned on so then I just smoked openly again.
Eventually though I took the plunge and thought I would just try and go one day without smoking.  Nothing bad happened so I went one more then one more and so on.  Its now over 6 years since my last smoke and it all started with that one day of not smoking.
So finish your last one then go the rest of the day without one.  It may not be as bad as you think and when you wake up tomorrow morning log on here and tell us how you feel.  (Im guessing you will be feeling on top of the world for surviving the day without smoking) 
Come on Lindsay you can do this. xx
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

The following users thanked this post: LyndsayG

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 05:55:32 pm »
Welcome Back @LyndsayG !!  ;D

It is scary isn't it? I remember how terrified I was when I took the plunge. As @Titch says, there's much to be said for thinking in small chunks of time. Challenge yourself to go for an hour. or a day. or 10 minutes, or whatever period of time feels appropriate. If you try to think in terms of forever the anxiety and the panic tends to kick in (and before you know it you're back to square one) whereas if you can take care of the minutes the hours, days and ultimately weeks, months and years will take care of themselves (and they will, however impossible it is to imagine  :)).

You've had plenty of practice runs but I think this is going to be the Real Thing this time. You know we'll all be here to do what we can to help you through the bad patches and to cheer you on.  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

LyndsayG

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 11:03:51 pm »
Thanks for your support Titch and Siddaw. It really is helping.

So, I've now managed 8 hours without smoking and my world hasn't caved in - yet.

I went shopping this afternoon and although tempted to buy cigarettes this time I didn't. It felt a bit  daunting getting in the car and driving home without my safety blanket but I convinced myself I'd done the right thing.

It's now 9 hours since I smoked that horrible last cigarette so that's good. I just wish I felt a bit more positive because I know I'm going to have to adjust to my quit properly in the morning - I think that's when the reality will set in. Quitting's got to be better than smoking though so I'll make myself get used to it - well that's the plan.

I had to smile Titch at your story about the herbal cigarettes - the lengths we go to for an illicit smoke lol. Been there and got the t-shirt too many times!

Onwards and upwards I hope. :-\

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 12:09:31 am »
Was it the film "The War of the Roses" where Danny Devito was the lawyer with his last cigarette in a glass case and he caved? I bet it tasted worse than a herbal cigarette! They go off!! Seriously, even as a smoker if I found an old pack with a couple in I wouldn't have touched them because they go off. Maybe it's just me, but I swear that they would go 'stale'....

Take it minute by minute and hour by hour until you see day by day and week by week accumulate. It's not a race, it's a battle and each minute brings you closer to victory. Sometimes you do have to dig deep to keep winning the little battles that get you to that victory though.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:13:57 am »
Was it the film "The War of the Roses" where Danny Devito was the lawyer with his last cigarette in a glass case and he caved? I bet it tasted worse than a herbal cigarette! They go off!! Seriously, even as a smoker if I found an old pack with a couple in I wouldn't have touched them because they go off. Maybe it's just me, but I swear that they would go 'stale'....

I had one and it came with a match. It was stale!
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 06:17:40 pm »
How's your day being going @LyndsayG ?

The following users thanked this post: Indigo Warrior, LyndsayG

LyndsayG

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 10:06:35 pm »
2 days done Lostie but they seem to have been 2 very long days.

The main thing is I've got through them so I'm happy about that even if I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself at the same time.  :-\

The following users thanked this post: Lostie

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 11:57:37 pm »
Hopefully you aren't working tomorrow @LyndsayG and can have a well earned lie in.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 11:52:06 am »
Morning @LyndsayG  :)

Hope you slept well and that the day proves to be relatively crave- free. You're doing wonderfully well.  :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 06:42:07 pm »
As long as you never give up trying @LyndsayG you're doing well

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it