Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: The good cigarette  (Read 979 times)

Mina

The good cigarette
« on: August 01, 2017, 09:04:41 pm »
Today I have found myself just hankering after that good cigarette - not the ones smoked in habit, or in stress, or sadness, or boredom - but the good cigarettes......the ones that just made a good moment better.
Now don't tell me good cigarettes don't exist cus I won't believe you - just they are not worth all the others that come along hanging on their coat tails :D

80 days done and dusted today, so this is just pondering more than anything, and an inward comment that come the age of 75 I will just check out whether smoking and me are REALLY done for good  :o

Philosophically yours....
M
x

tea

• Administrator
Re: The good cigarette
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:22:45 pm »
You know what I think, if it would be so good that I would be prepared to take it out of the middle of a public toilet, festooned with used toilet paper and covered in the splatter of the results of really bad gastric issues then I can have it. In order to get to it I would have to paddle through the spilt puddles of liquid and perhaps chunks that never even made it into that toilet. Would it be good enough to go through all that? If so then I can have it.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: Mina

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 01:33:28 am »
I remember you saying if I could do my exercises @Mina then you could continue with your quit.  I'm getting reading to go to exercises today and want to go back to bed. It's 3 degrees (or less) outside, but as you're keeping going I guess I will too  :D 007

Max414

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 12:36:05 pm »
Dear Mina  :nobeer:
Very very proud of you!!!
Know precisely what you mean about the 'good' ciggie. So pervasive is the tobacco habit,so deeply does it get into our psyche, that in almost any situation you could name ,a fag was the answer.
Get good news! Have a fag to celebrate. Waiting to do an exam-cig. Feeling fed up,a cig will make you feel better. Jealous,have a ciggie and so on. No other product you can mention,was so able to adapt itself to your own human fears,needs,wants and desires in such an all encompassing way....no wonder it is so hard to stop smoking.

BUT

You HAVE STOPPED  :hug: :hug:
And unless I am much mistaken,you are feeling strong,determined and proud and those qualities get bigger and stronger the longer you stay quit until the hideous appeal of smoking is illuminated in the spotlight of reality and seen for the lying,deadly,smelly,monstrous back-stabber that it TRULY is.
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Titch

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 01:10:24 pm »
You are doing so well Mina dont let thoughts of that good cigarette enter your head.  Non smokers dont need a good cigarette to make a good moment seem even better and you're a non smoker now Mina so you dont need one either.  take a deep breath and let those clear lungs turn a good moment into an even better moment. 

P.S. 80 days is fantastic.  Very very well done you xx
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 06:28:40 pm »
Exactly what the others said dear @Mina ...  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Mina

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 09:13:10 pm »
I was in a traffic jam today, car didn't move for about 10 minutes during which time the woman driving the car to my right smoked 2 ciggies....
With not much else to do I just watched out of the corner of my eye and did have to ask myself "What on earth is that all about???"
Seen from a detached, musing, distance those cigarettes really did just look like a means of delivering a lethal drug.....self administered too!
Seemed somewhat bizarre when observed without any cravings or envy at from the path of freedom  :ninja:

Smelled rubbish too  :foundbeer:

Thank you all for the encouragement - I am at that stage where I keep checking and telling myself "God Damn girl - look at you, you're doing it!!!"

M
x

The following users thanked this post: tea, Max414, Skiddaw

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 03:35:50 am »
You sure are doing it  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 10:16:35 am »
I remember that feeling really well @Mina - a bit like learning to ride a bike without stabilisers, or the first time you swam without armbands. You're doing it, then have a moment of realising you're doing it (if that makes sense  :)).
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 11:36:02 am »
I once gave up for a couple of years with the concept that it wasn't permanent and that I had merely postponed the treat and would start again when I reach my 70s. Well two years later and forty years plus still to hit my 70s that obviously didn't work for me.

That gremlin perversely twists those memories to create that ahhhhh moment but forgets to mention all the physical issues those chemicals do to your body, that you will stink of smoke no matter how much you try to mask it and  the astronomical impact it has on your bank balance.

I even noticed that second hand smoke permeates into the car (even with windows shut) when waiting in traffic as that smoke invades the air around the smoker and I'm sure it bee lines to ex smokers in the hope of nudging them.

My gremlin still gives me the occasional poke but NOPE and just keep going, along with this group, is keeping me on the straight and narrow.

One minute, one hour, one day whatever it takes to get through it. You are amazing because by determination you are winning the war.

Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

The following users thanked this post: tea, Lostie, Mina