Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Still Going Strong.  (Read 367 times)

Nigalius

Still Going Strong.
« on: July 30, 2017, 07:01:30 pm »
Hi All... Its such a long time since I have been on here but will never forget the members that helped with my quit.

I am quite involved with other things on the net and try to earn myself a few quid repairing and editing photos. I live in a mobile home/caravan and like to keep the place reasonably tidy, not easy when you have a dog and 2 parrots.

But now the smoking side of things. I feel so pleased to say that when I first quit I considered myself someone that had ceased smoking and perhaps one day I might even stop permanently. Well, I now consider myself a non smoker, I had my last one on January 10th. I am now an alcoholic. Hahaha, only joking there of course  ;D. Yes, there are days sometimes, well, not even days, just moments really when I say to myself "wish I was a smoker" but those moments are few and far between now. There is a time that I often look forward to and one of my neighbours will sometimes call here for 30 minutes for a chinwag and he smokes. He stands at the door to have one but as I am sure you know most of the smoke just comes back in anyway I got to be honest that I do enjoy the smell of it but once this guy has gone my mind quickly goes from liking the smell to other things. Usually something to do with real coffee of what curry I am going to cook. I do like a glass or 3 of red wine of an evening but dont start drinking until around 21.00. The one down side to it is my weight and I went up from around 18 stone to tipping 20 stone 2 pound. So, I decided to join slimming world and am now down to about 18 stone 12 pound. I'm quite chuffed about that. My target weight is just under 13 stone.

Well thats about all right now I wish every one in the earlier stages of quitting and if I can quit after 49 years ANYONE can do it. I dont think its the giving up smoking that is too bad but perhape the fear of what its going to feel like and I can honestly tell you... IT AINT TOO BAD.

Good Luck everyone

Cheers

Nigel
I know a lot of things, I just cant remember them.

The following users thanked this post: mattyb, Glasgowgal

tea

• Administrator
Re: Still Going Strong.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 07:21:11 pm »
Oh I am so pleased for you! How is the breathing? Are your medical people all chuffed with you?

Congratulations on the weight loss as well. It sounds like you're going from strength to strength.  008
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Sally

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 07:23:32 pm »
So pleased to hear from you and massive well done on your quit and weight loss.  How are you finding Slimming World? I joined back in March and have lost just over a stone but I could try a lot harder at it!
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 07:23:53 pm »
This was brilliant to hear. I am sooooooooooo pleased for you and your achievement. Not long to the penthouse key will be handed over.

Woop, woop.
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 02:04:49 am »
I was so pleased to see your post :) Glad you are still going strong and have posted to let us know :foundbeer:

Nigalius

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 05:03:53 am »
Oh I am so pleased for you! How is the breathing? Are your medical people all chuffed with you?

Congratulations on the weight loss as well. It sounds like you're going from strength to strength.  008

My COPD which has never been too bad is defo better than it was and does not affect me during the day. For some reason I sometimes notice mild symptoms as I get into bed but within a few seconds they dissappear and I forget about them. After the Sepsis I had 2 years ago I am under different doctors for various check ups and they are all pleased. I am very over weight at the moment though that is being attacked with Slimming World but so far 3 of the doctors have said that although it is important to lose the weight its far more important to stay off the smokes.

Nigalius

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 05:11:40 am »
So pleased to hear from you and massive well done on your quit and weight loss.  How are you finding Slimming World? I joined back in March and have lost just over a stone but I could try a lot harder at it!

I like Slimming World. I do like a glass or more of red in the evening so make up for that with eating a large amount of free foods. I love diced chicken in tandoori powder and that is free food as you know. Perhaps I dont stick 100% to what I should be doing but I have lost well over a stone already. I am eating lots of Diced chicken, wholemeal bread and scrambled eggs and lots of pasta too, all washed down with a glass of Chateau Plonk.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 10:25:05 am »
@Nigalius , you really do deserve HUGE congratulations for not only succeeding in your quit but for tackling the weight issue too. As your medical people say, whilst losing weight is good, you've already taken the major step for improving your health. Just keep enjoying all those wonderful benefits (along with plenty of SW free food and the odd treat  ;)) and look forward to years of health and happiness. Well Done That Man!!  008 :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 11:20:42 am »
Sooooo far beyond chuffed to see this that I haven't the words - FAN-FLIPPIN-TASTIC!!!!!!!!  There aren't enough dancing bananas either!!!!!!!! So very, very happy for you @Nigalius, you've got this well and truly sussed AND you're already tackling the weight - I bow at the feet of a master, you ROCK!
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 01:28:11 pm »
Shall we give him a big banana then @Kat73?

12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: Kat73

Nigalius

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 03:49:23 am »
Hahahahaha, I could get arrested if I try to do that.

Another thing I could say that I dont think I have mentioned before is my taste has vastly improved. But trust me to find out in the way I am about to describe,  008

It was only last night, as I said before I like my red wine in the evening time starting about 21.00 and although I do have my spirits and Lager here I have stuck to the Red I think since Christmas. Well, last night I looked in my cupboard and a lot of space was being taken up with 2 cartons of Becks Lager, 20 bottles in each carton. So I put 6 bottles in the fridge and drunk 3 of them last night. Well, what a difference..... As I said that was the first Becks I had this year and certainly the first since quitting the smokes and ohhh boy, it tasted so much better. I would say that is 95% down to quitting smoking. I dont think I have noticed too much difference with food though as I really do love my spicy food and with the different curries I have perhaps I would not notice the difference.

Cheers

Nigel
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:51:06 am by Nigalius »