Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Introducing myself, the serial quitter  (Read 1009 times)

cshaban

Introducing myself, the serial quitter
« on: July 19, 2017, 07:29:14 am »
Hello everyone!

I'm kind of excited to join your community because I remember one of my previous attempts being on a forum and getting all the support and understanding really helped me stay away from smoking for a while...
I've been smoking for some 10 years, with a break of 2 years at some point and some various smaller breaks in between.
I come back to it though. Over the last year, pretty much every pack I bought was gonna be the last one and every cig the last. But I guess some of you know how it goes...a moment of tension and the next one gets lit up...
It's hard to quit because smoking has become my ME time. I've always been this way, not so much the social smoker, but taking the cig break to think, take a break, conclude some important moment. I think that's why it's so hard to quit, cause these ME times are so important.
So I know I have to find ways to replace that, find other ways of ME time. I kind of know the options - exercise, drink a tea instead (not much of a tea drinker though), take a walk (can't really afford that because of work and childcare duties)...
Maybe you can tell me what works for you, especially those who identify with my kind of smoking.
Trying the cold turkey thing, it worked for me before until it didn't...
I'm pretty convinced about the N.O.P.E thing, every new one is just an excuse to light up the next (as long as I did one, I'll do another).
Oh, I live right now (for a month, during holidays) with a serial smoker, my mom, so there's cigarettes around all the time (it's out of the question she'll quit), extra difficulty. But I didnt want to wait because I always wait and then I never quit. But it's easier when the cigs are not around, it takes one trip to the shop and then you might change your mind.
I quit mainly for health, when I started in my 20s it seemed it's all without an impact, but now in my 30s I really feel it weighing on my body. Breathing worse, getting tired, all that stuff.
OK, enough said.
The plan is to send this to you and go and smoke the last one (the Carr way, fully conscious of the smell and terrible taste and scorching of the lungs) and then read this forum every time I want to light up next.
Fingers crossed.
A smoke free day to all of you!

KitKat

• Administrator
Re: Introducing myself, the serial quitter
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 10:21:58 am »
Firstly @cshaban  well done for starting what hopefully be your last quit, however that said, failure is never failure until you stop trying.

Please ask as many questions as you wish and contribute to the forum as much as you like, we are here to help and will never judge you, but just offer support, reassurance and a shoulder to cry on if that's what you need.

No matter what you are going through, now or further down the line, someone here will have been through exactly the same and will jump in to help you.

Trust me when I say, "this is one of the best things you could be doing".

Take care

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:32:09 am »
A big welcome to the forum from me too @cshaban  ;D

I think the secret to a successful quit is to really, really want to quit. That's certainly how it was for me anyway. It's as though a switch in your brain trips and once that happens, no matter how hard it is (and what obstacles are in the path) you'll make it. It sounds like you've reached that point to me and I for one will be cheering you on like mad.  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

As @KitKat has said, you'll find gallons of support and companionship from everyone in this lovely community so jump in, join in and ask anything you like. There's nothing new under the sun and whatever your journey brings, someone will have encountered something similar before.

Welcome to the gang!  008
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Titch

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 12:22:14 pm »
Hello cshaban and welcome to the forum.

Dont worry your not the first serial quitter and you definitely wont be the last.  I quit every time I went to bed at night for about 3 years and every morning started smoking again  :-[

My problem was I didnt want to quit I just felt I should quit.  Then one day over 6 years ago I realised I actually wanted to quit. That was the turning point and I havent had one signle puff since that day. (according to the app on my phone I havent smoked for 2354 days and in that time I have saved myself a massive £14,690)

Like Skiddaw says the secret to stopping smoking is to really want to stop smoking.  There will be good days and bad days.  On good days come on here and join in the games and on bad days come on here and rant and rave.  Always someone around to help out when you need them.
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

The following users thanked this post: Wearylass

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 04:08:24 pm »
You are very welcome and be assured there are no airs and graces here and you should just jump in with whatever you like. I think that a Forum was key to a successful quit for so many of us so we are always happy to have new people to play with!! You are always bound to get plenty of people's opinions and support and if you need a sargeant major quit daddy @Max414 is your man.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Nick_82

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:01:18 pm »
Hi cshaban,

I hope your first day is going well. I too am a serial quitter and I can relate to the 'Me time' aspect. For my current attempt, at work (which is where I miss cigs most), I've  been trying to just get up and go and have a chat with someone I don't normally talk to much rather than going outside. I think I was missing the social aspect of smoking and chatting so that seems to be helping a bit. Im probably driving my colleagues mad though!

Nick

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 06:05:44 pm »
That sounds like fun @Nick_82, have you found anybody particularly interesting?
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Sally

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 09:44:57 pm »
Welcome @cshaban, your post sounds very familiar.  I too kept thinking about quitting but never really got much further than thinking about it.  I kidded myself I could cut down, that didn't happen either and then something clicked, I was fed up with smoking and decided to do the 28 day "Stoptober" challenge.  What helped me was that Stoptober was only 28 days so it wasn't like I was quitting forever and I could have a cigarette at the end if I wanted to. Over two years later, I've still not had that cigarette I promised myself if I did that 28 days.

Well done on your decision to quit, remember NOPE and let us know how you get on.

Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Nick_82

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 09:49:14 pm »
I found out a guy I work with was once a runner for bill Ossie on spring watch!  005

The following users thanked this post: tea

markmcclean1980

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:34:03 am »
Welcome @cshaban and we'll done on not giving up on giving up.

I think that the majority of people here will have been serial quitters at one time or another.  Indeed, I am a massive serialist.  All I can suggest is to try different methods and see what works for you.  Some people here have quit cold turkey, using NRT, ecig, champix, and so on.  Some found it super easy, many have had to fight and struggle.  You will discover what works for you.  The one thing that you can be sure of is that you will get a lot of support on this forum.  I have seen a lot of people on this forum use the post and wait technique - if you feel a bad crave, post on the forum and wait for 3 replies.  By the time you get those replies the crave will have passed.

Keep us informed on your journey and welo done on making the decision to quit.

Max414

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 12:01:44 pm »
Hiya mate or Miss-or Mrs-or Ms I guess  :foundbeer:
For a new quitter who really REALLY wants to nail smoking to the door of history, this is a fine place to join so already you have made a very smart move  008
Why is it a smart move?-well because- most of us lot,former members many of us of the now defunct BHF no smoking forum, achieved great success and managed to end our smoking and in gratitude for the support and encouragement that we obtained from that forum,we set up this forum because we want to help other people to quit,as we were helped . There is a huge pool of knowledge and experience to be found here; just about every method of quitting has a devotee here and so we can offer sound advice on just about the whole subject.

Stick around,lean on us,and watch your breathing taste and smell improve rapidly as well as your bank account  006
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)