Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: How many of us REALLY give up smoking?  (Read 1929 times)

Max414

How many of us REALLY give up smoking?
« on: June 28, 2017, 10:28:25 am »
Strange title for my post,yes; but I have been dismayed to learn that perhaps 30% of the people I know who quit smoking around the time I did (2012)-that is,people in my area,not in this community- have started again,or are smoking now and then,when they go out and so on. :-\
I can honestly say that not one filthy cig has come into my hands since the happy day that I stopped poisoning myself, and I am very proud of that. But it seems to me,that the smoking habit is so deeply embedded in our psyche ,that it never ever lets you completely free and that this manifests itself in so many quitters still having a few,now and then. Or worse still,kidding themselves that they have one now and then but in truth,having quite a few every day.

I find this rather sad,and worrying. And yet I know that the distance I have diligently put between myself and smoking,though it mostly feels like a satisfyingly safe and wide void,is not that wide,nor that safe ;and that in a crisis I suspect I would easily yield to reaching once more for that old deadly friend,the cancer stick. 001 I hope I am never put in that position.

Our lovely friend Saucisse sends her love and regrets not posting lately-her dad passed away,which has caused her great distress,and she is not able to rekindle a quit just yet. In the meantime she sends everyone her love x as we do,back to you,Sue  :hug:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

The following users thanked this post: tea

KitKat

• Administrator
Re: How many of us REALLY give up smoking?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 11:38:30 am »
Interesting @Max414 it's fair to say that I know several people that have given up smoking and to my knowledge not smoked since, conversely I also know several people  that gave up smoking and started again either weeks or months later.

We never know what goes on behind closed doors and why people start smoking again, but I would never judge them and will always offer support if required.

For myself, my aim is to never smoke again, but I would never say that I wont because *****" happens and who knows what lies ahead and just what life will throw at us.

KK ;)
Ps, It's been 7 or 8 months now, jeez who would have thought it. :o
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

The following users thanked this post: tea, Max414

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 12:36:42 pm »
Personally I can honestly say I have not had so much as a puff since 14th November 2012. I do know from previous attempts to quit that it is far to easy to slip. I call myself a 'reformed smoker' as I know that if I ever have one I will be back to 30+ a day in no time flat.

Keep on quitting and eventually you will get your 'forever' quit and will be so glad you did ;)

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 06:02:35 pm »
Oh poor dear @Saucisse - please do pass on my love and condolences if you happen to be in touch @Max414. Losing a parent is never easy at any age.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I would never consider myself 'safe' from smoking again. It's like being an alcoholic isn't it? Hence the NOPE mantra. Mr Skiddaw quit for 6 years but started again (though he's now been quit for over 12 years) and I don't think, for ex-smokers, that there's ever a point where you can relax your guard completely. All I can say is that as things stand, I have no intentions of ever, ever, smoking again.
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: Lostie

Sally

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:06:35 pm »
So sorry to hear the news about Saucisse's father.  Please pass on my sympathy if you are in touch with her @Max414 and I'm thinking of her and her family.

I've not had a single puff of a cigarette since 30th September 2014.  However, I don't think I'll ever be as secure in my quit as some of you here.  I don't crave cigarettes but I do have an occasional thought that a cigarette would be nice with a coffee or if I'm sitting in the garden in the evening.  I've learnt from past mistakes thinking one won't hurt or I'll just have one or two a day.  I can't do that and nor do I want to when I have my sensible head on!  When those rose tinted glasses come out, I soon remind myself how much better it is not smoking and there is no way I want to go through the early days of a quit again.  For me it's not stressful situations when I need to be most careful, it's the chilled out times!

Quite a few people I know who smoked are now on the e cigs, but thinking about it the number of people I know who still still smoke the real thing has dwindled considerably over the past couple of years. 

I don't really think of myself as a non or ex smoker, just somebody who chooses not to smoke now.

@KitKat well done on your seven or eight months!
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 11:20:07 am »
However, I don't think I'll ever be as secure in my quit as some of you here. 

I think that's exactly the point @Sally - none of us are so secure in our quits that we could ever say, hand on heart, that we'd never be at risk of relapsing under any circumstances. I haven't smoked since 8/12/13 but like you, I still have the odd moment when my brain tells me a fag would be nice (and like you, it's usually during those pleasurable moments rather than when under stress). It's just that the moments become increasingly rare and increasingly fleeting. I know without a shadow of a doubt that if I was to succumb even to a puff of someone's fag I'd be down the slippery slope faster than a fireman down a pole.

Thank you for hitting the nail on the head so wonderfully in your post. I think you've summed up how most of us ex smokers feel.  :)

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 11:34:11 pm »
I know for sure that there are circumstances in which I would be at considerable risk of ending up back under the smelly yellow thumb.

First of all, I had an 18 months+ quit back in my twenties that went for a burton due to my foolishly thinking I could "social smoke".

Secondly, some of you may remember me having a mahoosive panic last summer because a dear friend was here from Dubai and I needed to get my game face on to meet up with her and was in a bit of a state emotionally, to put it mildly.  I managed the night out with her and saw her again the following night but during the course of those two nights I smoked two cigarettes, possibly three (can't remember whether I had one the second night or whether I managed to resist).

Fortunately that was it, I didn't buy a pack or anything but I know that there are circumstances in which I do not believe I would have the strength to hold fast and so I will never, EVER take my smoke free life for granted.
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 09:34:26 am »
Gosh, I remember the occasion @Kat73 but I didn't realise it had got under your skin to the point where you smoked... My goodness, you should be SO proud of yourself for holding fast and not sliding into the abyss again. That really takes immense courage.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Max414

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 04:11:46 pm »
Gosh, I remember the occasion @Kat73 but I didn't realise it had got under your skin to the point where you smoked... My goodness, you should be SO proud of yourself for holding fast and not sliding into the abyss again. That really takes immense courage.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Totally agree-to have a couple of cigs,and yet to be strong enough to put up the barriers again,hold onto your quit-that takes a HUGE amount of strength,well done @Kat73  :nobeer:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)