Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Dealing with the pains of anxiety!  (Read 1466 times)

Punjabiprincess

• 2nd and final quit! Eating cake is much better!
Dealing with the pains of anxiety!
« on: May 05, 2017, 02:16:22 pm »
Hi peeps,

I thought I would provide some tips on how to deal with anxiety symptoms during your quit as I had a really hard time when I got them.

Most people won't even know they are suffering from anxiety, I certainly had no idea. 

Anxiety will ultimately give you this dreaded fear that 'something bad will happen' if you don't have that cigarette and continue down the path of giving up the bad habit. It can also give you digestive problems, a tight chest making it difficult to breathe and leave you feeling very angry and frustrated all the time.   009 009 009

Thankfully all that is normally required is a few moments to calm yourself down.  The problem is the more you think about it and try to relax , the worse it can get and you ultimately go round in circles until you can't take it anymore and either give in .. or have a very very bad day. 

It's taken a while but I can now say that the following reduce anxiety significantly.  Anxiety shouldn't last longer than the first few months of your quit so these will only be temporary aids if you do feel stressed :-)

1.  Peppermint tea/Chamomile tea  - Oh my days when i started drinking a few cups of these a day .. my anxiety literally dropped from 90% to 25 tops.
2.  Deep slow breathes right into the tummy through the nose and out of your nose.  The out breathe should be much slower than the in breathe(count to 10 on the out breathe if it helps).
3.  I took St John's wort Moodease - I felt a massive difference within two days of taking this.
4.  The best remedy though is exercise.  I now go for long runs every day.  Granted im knackered but every day gets better and better.   010 010 010

I hope these tips help.

Good luck on your journey guys .. its a blast the nearer you get to the Penthouse x   008 008 008

PP
Quit Date: 01/11/2016

The following users thanked this post: KitKat, Saucisse, Lostie, Sally

Sally

Re: Dealing with the pains of anxiety!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 02:22:29 pm »
Thats a great post @Punjabiprincess
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

The following users thanked this post: Punjabiprincess

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 04:19:14 pm »
The benefit of this post and others like it on this forum, is that it has been posted by a real person who has experienced real problems and found ways to overcome them and continue with their quit on route to the Penthouse.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post @Punjabiprincess  008

KK ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 08:03:23 pm by KitKat »
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

Punjabiprincess

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 04:39:36 pm »
Thanks @KitKat it's one of those things unless you go through it yourself you can't begin to understand how much of an impact it can have on you and your every day routine x If my post helps even one person my job here is done as 008

The following users thanked this post: KitKat

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 06:00:41 pm »
Nice one our @Punjabiprincess  :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Opah

• Live to be OUTDOORS
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 07:49:39 pm »
@months down and I really hope to be Done with the anxiety and stress, and yes girl the breathing and something warm and relaxing (Soup for me) is Key.

Thank you Punjabiprincess
I really hope to be stress free in Month 3
The Eyes have It  "NOPE" for this day

Punjabiprincess

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 08:42:56 pm »
Aws trust me  @Opah  i have been there and it does pass x hang in there .

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 09:09:16 pm »
I tried to describe what it actually felt like once http://justquit.co.uk/index.php/topic,1422.msg26910.html#msg26910....it was horrible.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Opah

• Live to be OUTDOORS
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 09:15:54 pm »
Wow Girl sounds very bad. I have never had that problem, I gues because I have always loved and respected the power of mother nature.  The best of MN I have been in was a Tornado, it came to us we went into the eye, all the air was sucked out of the building and you couldn't breath and then as fast as it came it was on its way. cutting sheets of water out of the pond in the front of the building.    Just amazing
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:25:14 pm by Opah »

Opah

• Live to be OUTDOORS
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 09:29:33 pm »
One other time we had renting a fire watch tower for a week, and this huge storm came in,  we were total white out for two days. here we were in our protective Bubble in the middle of this raging storm  so cool
coming it was Lightening all around webs of fire in the sky the thunder shook our insides and at times hurt our ears.  after it was over it was a couple of days before I could see my truck again.
I have some pictures if you care to see them?

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 11:44:15 pm »
@Punjabiprincess 's comments are sooo valid and anything that can help the anxiety will help the quit.

Meditation and deep breathing are the two things I resort to most of all. 1) It is relaxing and 2) by the time you have done the meditation the nicotine gremlin has usually got bored and wandered off. NOPE = not one puff ever and this is very true.

Also watch out for certain game changers that can really make the nicotine gremlin try and push your buttons because you are at your lowest point. 20.5 months the nicotine gremlin is trying to get a room back in my life just because I am going through a divorce. Well it ain't happening due to all the fab, support folk on this group
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

The following users thanked this post: tea, Punjabiprincess

Punjabiprincess

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 11:51:42 pm »
@tea i have been diagnosed with anxiety order. You described to a T what i have been going through since November. In your mind you are rational but your body is sooo at the other end if the scale its unreal. You have no control over it. Moodease was seriously my saviour cant praise it enough. I no longer have to talk myself into leaving the flat anymore. Now i just get ready and go.

I tried to describe what it actually felt like once http://justquit.co.uk/index.php/topic,1422.msg26910.html#msg26910....it was horrible.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:53:28 pm by Punjabiprincess »