Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Month 5  (Read 2191 times)

Gerti1

Month 5
« on: April 05, 2017, 06:41:59 am »
Life in month 5 has been tough. I dropped down on my patches and seemed to be doing ok and dealing with the cravings fairly well but I have had a crap month. Had to have an operation last week and waiting on biopsy results so it's all quite understandable that I feel low and am sometimes questioning my resolve. Part of me is saying ''kick this one into gear and you will have overcome another milestone and will feel on cloud 9 again'' but I am tired, tired from the minute I wake up and seem to be putting 1 foot in front of the other. I look back and think, wow I have had a great quit, have come so far and am extremely proud of myself. I am reading my quit books again and doing everything I know how to try and get this cloud to lift.
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

Max414

Re: Month 5
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 09:49:37 am »
Gerti,hold on tight to your quit,as you might hold onto a new born babe  :hug:
It is a thing PRECIOUS beyond all measure,and whatever bad things happen to you,none of them would be assuaged or improved by poisoning yourself X
When nature gave you life,you were born a non smoker-she intended you to live and breath God's fresh air but not to suck in smoke in some warped horrible way masquerading as fun or relaxation.Stick to your natural instincts and stay a non smoker,we are here every day supporting you x
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 10:30:09 am »
Poor @Gerti1 - no wonder you're feeling a bit down at the moment.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

The thing is, it WILL pass and smoking wouldn't make you feel any better (in fact you'd feel 1000 times worse). I know you have the grit and determination to ride it out. I prescribe some gentle 'me' time with plenty of small but indulgent treats and before you know it, the bad times will be far behind you.

You're doing BRILLIANTLY by the way...  ;D 007 007 007
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 11:02:30 am »
I look and think "wow, you're having a great quit  and you're going to go even further and get into that Penthouse and you are going to be so proud of yourself"...
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Hopeful Marie

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 12:23:31 pm »
Well done on the willpower and not giving in. Very best wishes that you'll be back on track super quick. x
Quit date 27th March 2017.

TG

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 02:00:01 pm »
@Gerti1 hang in there mate.  Sorry life is throwing some really big curve balls at you.  Just remember any thoughts of smoking are false illusions. The good memories always stay longer than the bad memories,  that's your brain doing what it does best.  To get to 5 months and fall now will put you in a worst place than you are now.  Post if you need us we are all hear for you xxx  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

Gerti1

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 07:14:47 pm »
Thank you, you are a lovely lot. I often read through the milestone posts to try and get a feel for how others were coping at 4, 5, 6 months ect... and I did hesitate before I posted this morning as I want to encourage and not deter people but I felt I wanted to share. My month has been a toughie but my craves are more just 'thoughts' and not the kind that send me running to the newsagents, its just my resolve that's being tested. Life's curve balls are part of life and I shall continue this battle of mine as I am determined to beat this stinky life-sucking habit/addiction, It's the most important thing in my life right now. I have started walking again today and will also be doing some dancing along to the radio tomorrow. Thank you xx
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 10:50:16 am »
Most welcome dear @Gerti1 - I don't for a minute think you'll cave in now. If it is any help, I had the most overwhelming crave at the 6 month point when at a wedding (I had to shut myself in the nearest bog until it passed  :)) but it was the last time that ever happened.

Here's to your Penthouse arrival in 7 short months time!!  ;D 008

Saucisse

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 09:14:09 pm »
Get well soon.  You're doing so,so brilliantly.  I was going to ask in a couple of weeks about stepping down as I think it will be expected of me at the next cessation smoking lady appointment. 
X
History ..... Just one thing after another.

Sally

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 09:26:54 pm »
Aww Gerti, hope things get better for you soon.  Don't feel you're alone having a bad time so far into your quit.  I had a major wobble at around four months and to stop me smoking I went back to the NRT lozenges for a bit.  I think it's helpful for anybody quitting to read about the tough times too, so if they go through it then they'll see others have made it through. 

We've had lovely sunshine for the past couple of days so hope if you've been getting out walking in the nice weather that's helping you to feel better.

You're doing amazingly well with your quit, so be very proud of yourself.
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 01:23:42 am »
Bless you, it's rotten when you take a sudden dive again  :hug: 

Do the things that make you smile, treat yourself and reset your mood.  Then think back to those very first days and how much of a battle they were.  Remind yourself of the blood, sweat and tears that brought you this far and ask yourself "Do I really want to put myself through that again?" You have fought hard to get to this place, no-one did this for you, it is YOUR achievement, YOUR success, YOU have worked damned hard and no sneaky shenanigans on the part of our stinky nemesis, trying to piggyback his way back in to your life on the back of some tough times is going to derail you!

You've come a long, long, LONG way hon, just hang tough and remember, you are WINNING!
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Gerti1

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 07:27:39 am »
Thank you.
I think stepping down on my patches is the least likely factor in my feeling a bit down. I had decided at the beginning of this quit that I would be staying on patches for many months and I am using them to taper off nicotine at such a slow rate the brain is less likely to miss it. It's a bit like tapering off Valium when someone is addicted which has been proved to work. I am not saying it hasn't got anything to do with my low mood but I don't think it's the highest culprit on the list. I am getting a tight chest which makes breathing difficult. I have had it checked out with ecg and allsorts and I am as fit as a fiddle so its most probably anxiety. This all actually started BEFORE I quit and probably a delayed reaction to losing my mum last year. Throw in a bit of Jan/Feb blues, which I definitely suffer with, waiting on biopsy's after an emergency operation and then my lovely wonderful, healthy brother was  diagnosed with advanced cancer last week and has been told no treatment will help him. I am putting 1 foot in front of the other and I will still battle this and further more I will beat it xx
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 10:09:58 am »
Oh @Gerti1 ... what terrible news about your brother, especially so close to losing your mum. Nothing I can say other than to send many  :hug: :hug: :hug: your way. I hope that you and he are able to share many quality moments in the months to come.

Saucisse

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 05:30:18 pm »
I'm so sorry
Sending love and hugs x
History ..... Just one thing after another.

Gerti1

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 07:07:06 pm »
Thank you xx
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018