Kick those cigarette butts with us!! Join up now for fun, friendly, free support with your quit.

Author Topic: Do I change my counter?  (Read 855 times)

Alidye69

Do I change my counter?
« on: March 07, 2017, 09:55:09 am »
Morning
Just wondering what people do when they have a relapse.  Do I need to change my counter back to zero and start again?

thanks
Alisa

tea

• Administrator
Re: Do I change my counter?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:15:45 am »
Ooh that's a contentious one. Only you can decide really as it's your quit. Going back to Day 1 may be disheartening or it may be motivating because it's where you don't want to be. When I quit I had a star chart and my daughter gave me a star every day and I was so motivated to have a full star chart and honestly say I hadn't smoked for X days/weeks/months. What would push you more?
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:21:04 am »
I think it's usually left up to the individual to decide how they feel about it.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:22:42 am »
Yes, definitely up to the concience of the individual church-goer is that one. Whatever sits right with you is the answer.  :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Max414

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 11:07:42 am »
I disagree,I don't think you can kid yourself-it's back to square one,in my book  ;D
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 06:16:12 pm »
If I had a £1 for every time this one came up for debate in the Old Place....  ;)

One thing, @Alidye69 , if you do reset your counter to Day One you'll only be arriving at the Penthouse a wee while after you would have done in the first place (so whatever you decide, it's no big deal- the party won't be delayed by more than a whisker  008)

The following users thanked this post: Alidye69

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 07:26:01 pm »

One puff to reaffirm it is blagh is not the same as returning to smoking so I feel it is definitely down to the individual to be fair and not overly harsh on themselves.
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 07:43:15 pm »
More importantly (in my view anyway....), how have you been doing since the blip?
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Finally!

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 06:16:25 am »
I think the counter is irrelevant, it's how you stop smoking thats important. The day you don't want a single puff is the day you realise you are onto a winner!
Finally quit after 35 years & several attempts.
Used Champix this time and it worked a treat!!
Last smoke 1 Nov 2013 and still going strong :)

Phil Coulson

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 08:08:41 am »
I would have reset, but that was because it formed part of my attitude to quitting i.e. no half measures. Some people don't because the idea of going back to day one is demoralising. At the end of the day its up to you and a ciouple years down the line the only thing which will matter is whether or not you're quit.

Max414

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 10:03:08 am »
I remember I fell out with Bossy knickers Donna  ;D at No Smoking day cos she announced one day that she had had a few at a boozy evening having been quit for a couple of months I think,but she intended to consider herself still 2 months quit or whatever it was and I objected.Seem to remember she get annoyed at me  005
I have my opinion just as others have theirs and that makes nobody more right than anyone else. However if we agree with NOPE-not one puff ever-then to me it follows that one puff means a reset. It's a balancing act between being realistic about your quit, and not demoralising yourself and deterring yourself from trying,isn't it.
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

The following users thanked this post: Hopeful Marie

TG

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 02:43:51 pm »
Your quit is your own,  for sure only you can decided what to do @Alidye69 I will say well done for getting straight back on that horse  008

On my experience.  I had quit for two months and bliped. Normally if I slip it would be months or years before I would try again.  The thought of quitting was bad enough,  without having to go through it in reality.

This time I smoked 3 cigarette butts,  the equivalent of 1 fag,  I suppose.  When the reality of what I had done hit me I was so annoyed with myself.  These guys talked me in to carrying on. But I was at a crossroads like you.  Do I go back to the beginning or just carry on.

I went back to day 1. My reasons were,  number one,  in my head I was trying to fight the junkie thoughts telling me it was OK to smoke in certain situations.  It isn't ! Number two,  I didn't want to get my self comfortable in the fact that I could have a smoke in the odd occasion and that is OK because I could carry on with my quit,  again it is not! As we are addicted to nicotine,  like any addict there is no in and out,  it has to be all or nothing.

If you chose to carry on.  Great!  But if you do not stick with NOPE and understand that you will have to make some changes in your life style for awhile,  for your quit.  You could be back here again.

Seeing the craving coming back strong after having just a couple of cigarette has probably hit you hard.  It did for me.  Keep going though,  being free from this is really worth the fight you are in now,  I hope you are still going strong  :hug: :hug: remember the support is here if you are struggling now.

The following users thanked this post: Max414, Saucisse, Lostie, Skiddaw

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 06:03:54 pm »
Nice one @TG  :)

@Alidye69 , how are things? Do pop your head around the door to let us know you're OK.  :hug: :hug:

The following users thanked this post: TG

Alidye69

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 07:54:46 pm »
Hello
Thanks for all your replies.  I am going to reset my counter on here but not my app on my phone as that really helps me to see how much I am saving by not smoking.
I was so disappointed in myself the next morning as I felt I was doing so well!  001
I was also surprised that it didn't taste awful too, it was like I had never been away from it! which I think is why I blipped and blipped!!
Today is day 1 and it has gone well.
I have no social gatherings coming up for a while now so I can get a bit longer under my belt before I drink again and hopefully I will be stronger.
Alisa

TG

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 09:08:50 pm »
Lovely to see you are back on it.  Every slip is a learning curve.  Not many of us quit on there first try,  but it takes guts to keep going and for that I can see you succeeding.

Congratulations on get through day one,  it is never easy  008 008 008

The following users thanked this post: Alidye69