Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 1  (Read 1814 times)

mattick

Day 1
« on: February 28, 2017, 05:38:17 pm »
Ok, so 6 years smoking now.  Started at the grand age of 26.  Started off social smoking, thought I could smoke the odd one now and than, whoops! I've tried giving up before, but just didn't have the will power to break through.  Hopefully this time will be different.  I'm sick to death of it tbh.  Slowly paying day by day to commit suicide the way I see it.

I've got 2 weeks off work atm, so now I don't have to deal with any pressures or stress that would make me want to smoke.  I've read that it takes 3 days for the Nicotine to leave your body, but takes 6 months for your brain to rewire itself from the X amount of chemicals that has hijacked it lol.  Since months is the target I'm aiming for.  Now comingup  to 24 hours without a Cigarette.  This morning I had a lot of cravings, however seems I'm getting evening off. 

tea

• Administrator
Re: Day 1
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 05:53:37 pm »
Yes and in that first week or two my advice would be to distract yourself as much as possible; strong tasting sweets for the 'taste' aspect and something to distract your brain and fingers in terms of activity. But it can be done!! It is achievable!!

Do you have any plans?
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 06:02:47 pm »
Hi @mattick, glad to have you on board  :)

Well done on taking the decision to fight this battle, there are millions who are too afraid to even try so you're already doing better than a lot of folk!  As you say, when we're able to step back and look at it logically we can see that we're basically paying to damage our health but of course the nature of addiction is to try and justify it any way we can so it's hard to be that objective, particularly when we're firmly in the grip of it.

Cravings are a major opponent, what plans do you have for your time off to keep yourself occupied?  It doesn't make for the most relaxing break but the busier you are (both physically and mentally) the less room there is in your head for the stinky smoking monster to come a calling!
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Helene

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 06:19:11 pm »
Hi mat,

Good for you, the first step is the hardest. 

It does seems that the cig helps with the stress but when you think about it , it it because you allow yourself a six minute break.  So I had to learn how to .

Helene
Stopped after 36 years

Max414

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 07:15:47 pm »
Hi Mattick and welcome  :D
Yes,smoking is day by day suicide-it is,just as you say.Amazingly you are paying for it and paying outrageous amounts too! Paying 8 quid a packet or whatever,for the privilege of making yourself stink and making yourself ill  :-\
So you are ahead of the game by registering and making your pledge to quit on here,well done!
I tried to have one or two as well,it just doesn't work,on here we talk about N.O.P E and it really defines the quit,it means Not one puff Ever-'tis the only way.
We look forward to helping you crack this-because we all did,and you can too  006

30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

mattick

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 08:03:09 am »
Thank you very much for the support & the info.  Day Two now, wow I'm getting hit harder than I thought.  Cravings are more intense & regular.  Feels like someone grabbed my shoulders and won't let go.  Didn't think it would get this bad until day 5. 

Last week I had a small chest infection, was coughing up a lot of mucus as you do.  Noticed all the tar and ash mixed in.  Disgusting I know, but gave me the shock to give this another go. 

I'm just relaxing and seeing friends mostly, I know I can get fairly moody & snappy when going cold turkey.  Found yesterday that coffee helped me through the intense craving moments.

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 08:26:09 am »
@mattick congratulations on getting through day 1 :D :D  Just try and hang in there and remember NOPE!

I'm usually a placid person (well most of the time ;)) but days 4-10, or there abouts, I was so, so angry. Never felt such anger. I stopped answering the phone and waiting until I was back to my normal self before talking to people. I know that isn't always convenient for most people.

I think the first 3 days were the hardest but things get better over time. :D :D

Titch

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 09:12:28 am »
Welcome to day 2 @mattick

Next time those pesky cravings grab you by your shoulders remember you are stronger than those nasty gremlins so hold your head up high and shake them off.   

There are two golden rules to stop smoking.

Rule 1.  If the going gets tough then log onto the forum, read as much as you can and post how you are feeling (writing it down really does help and there is always someone around who has felt the same and knows what you are going through)
Rule 2. NOPE - Remember Not One Puff Ever
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 06:41:28 pm »
Bless you, I once started a quit because I'd been very ill with a chest infection and figured I'd already done the hardest days because I was so poorly so it would be easier.  As you say, the cravings still come a'calling, they just haven't been around because when you're that ill there's no point but as you begin to feel better they really step it up.

Keep up the distractions, keep busy and come and talk to us when it gets tough, we're great believers in the Three Post strategy here - when you feel as though you might give in and smoke, come on here, write your HELP! post and then wait for three replies BEFORE doing anything about getting yourself something to smoke.  We've regularly seen that, by the time three people have responded and given you something else to think about, the crave has decreased in intensity and you can carry on. 

Well done for staying on the wagon, press on through mate, it's SO worth it.
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 10:35:33 pm »
So how was Day 2?
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

mattick

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 11:01:37 pm »
Today was ok, went down London, trying to keep myself busy.  Still difficult, very hard to concentrate or focus.  Quite easy to become frustrated.  But hanging in there  :) determined and resolute to beat this.  Thanks again for all the support, really does make a big difference and is a major morale booster

The following users thanked this post: Kat73, Lostie