Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3497 times)

Saucisse

Re: Hello
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 07:14:08 pm »
Please go for it.  I'm not far in front of you for the squilllionth quit  :(
I'm also on patches and a "puffy" thing to use first thing ...... Yes I've smoked big time for forty years (aaargh) and determined now to stop. 
Have a super girls night, stay away from the back door and just make the excuse you need the loo!!!!!   Look in the mirror and say well done me ! :)
Have fun. X
History ..... Just one thing after another.

Max414

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 09:13:12 pm »
Alisa,do be careful this weekend.
Alcohol is a VERY good friend of the evil Nic O'Tine  001

Many a quit has been lost to the 4 winds,by alcohol taking over, lowering your resistance and winning out over self discipline.
I would even say that if you are serious about quitting,you ought to consider giving the drinks party a miss.

I know you won't skip it,but you maybe ought to  :hug:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

steelfixer

• Penthouse Cellar Monster
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 01:32:13 am »
I lost my quit to the ale...i was around 2 or 3 yrs in :o Although most of my drinking sessions I was fine after 3 or so months, it was a blip that got me.  Being 3 days in it would be sooooo easy to say sod it ill quit tomorrow, I do hope you have a good time but i also hope you're string too :)
Last quit 15/06/15.

Alidye69

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 10:40:10 pm »
 :ninja: 008
whoop whoop I did it!  Four people trooped past me twice going outside for a ciggy and I did not cave although on the 2nd run I was tempted but I ignored them and ate food instead lol
Feeling proud  :foundbeer:

The following users thanked this post: Lostie

Max414

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 10:49:40 pm »
:ninja: 008
whoop whoop I did it!  Four people trooped past me twice going outside for a ciggy and I did not cave although on the 2nd run I was tempted but I ignored them and ate food instead lol
Feeling proud  :foundbeer:

That is a VICTORY well done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  007 :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 10:34:08 am »
Well done our @Alidye69 !!  008 007 ;D
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Saucisse

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 11:12:45 am »
Fabulous well done.   Keep eating.  005 x
History ..... Just one thing after another.

aneggisanegg

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 12:46:04 am »
I confess that I actually enjoy smoking

Well done on keeping your resolve over the weekend!

I too smoked for over thirty years.  I too firmly believed that I actually enjoyed smoking - that's why I kept at it for so long.

Like you, I could list plenty of reasons to quit - I could write a list as long as your arm in fact, and yet I carried on smoking, day after day, month after month, year after year.

We all know why we need to quit; far harder is the question 'why do we keep smoking?'

Think about that and you'll probably come up with 'it relaxes me when I'm stressed', 'it's something to do when I'm bored', 'it lifts me when I'm sad', 'it helps me celebrate the good times'.  As smokers we can all recognise these feelings.  At the end of the day they translate into 'smoking makes me feel good'.  Smoking defines us and is at the heart of our wellbeing.  The good news is that this is a complete illusion; the bad news is that it might take you a while to realise it - but once you do realise it, it can be like the flick of a switch in your mind and stopping smoking becomes easy.

'Smoking makes me feel good.'  WRONG - not smoking makes you feel bad.  This might sound like wordplay, but it is a completely different proposition.  As smokers, we are drug addicts.  It's sometimes not a comfortable realisation, but we're no different to any other drug addict apart from the fact that our drug of choice is perfectly legal and lines the government's pockets handsomely.  Suck deeply on that first drag of a cigarette - as the drug hits your brain a few seconds later, that intense feeling of pleasure is nothing more than the pleasure of feeling normal again; of banishing those withdrawal pangs for a few brief minutes before they are back again.  Rinse and repeat twenty times a day.  That 'pleasure of feeling normal again' is how non-smokers feel all the time - it's how you will feel all the time in just a few short weeks so long as you just stick at it without blips and slips - never think they don't matter; they always matter.

Finally, understand what you're addicted to and what you're trying to give up.  You're not addicted to smoking, you're addicted to nicotine - smoking is merely the method of nicotine delivery.  NRT can stop you smoking; this is a good thing and helps avoid the health issues related to smoking, but it doesn't attack the underlying slavery to nicotine - sooner or later you've got to address the drug addiction if you want to enjoy the goal of freedom.

In my own opinion of course - just sayin'  006

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 01:21:29 am »
Oh, great going 007 You've done really well, but still be on your guard. Keep strong the next time around. Be proud and smoke free 006

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 01:50:31 am »
I am mega impressed @Alidye69!!!  I didn't brave the alcohol trigger until I had several weeks under my belt and even then it was by arrangement with several other forum members and done in the safety of my home so I wouldn't be tempted!

It just goes to show that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another and that's why I love this place - we all quit differently and can share a wealth of experience with anyone who comes along.

Looking forward to your moving into Week 2 post, it'll be wonderful to have that all important first week in your pocket! :foundbeer:
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Titch

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 12:11:04 pm »
You have every right to be feeling proud of yourself @Alidye69.   Brilliant stuff
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 06:38:04 pm »

Well done!! Now all you have to do is keep it up. Our @Doodlebug would say "constant vigilance"! Never let your guard down, it does get easier to tell your brain "No!", but you might get that 'just one won't matter whisper' and you have to be ready to squish it and bash it and be stubborn and tell it "no, we're not having those any more, but we can have something nice instead".
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)