Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3478 times)

Alidye69

Hello
« on: February 23, 2017, 12:14:05 pm »
Hello Everyone

I am not actually on day 1 but day 2, I thought I would post in day 1 as I haven't posted before.  Actually it is 51hr 9mins, I only know this because I downloaded a smokefree app which shows me exactly how long I have stopped for, how much life I have gained, how many ciggies I haven't smoked and how much money I have saved which I find useful.
Ok my story...
I have been a smoker for over 30 years!!! In that time I only managed to stop once and that was for 6 months.  I confess that I actually enjoy smoking  :-[  My reasons for stopping are 1. I can't afford it because I smoke straights and they are now way too expensive and 2. Last week I went out with a group of 16 people and I was the only smoker and that made me realize how anti-social it is becoming as well as lonely for me outside!!  So I decided now is the time to quit.  It was going to be my New Years resolution but I kept putting it off until now.
The past 2 days have not been too bad but I have been feeling very weird and a little anxious and really lethargic, oh and I have been eating a lot  005
I've now bought some boiled sweets and fruit into work to try and help.  How do other people cope with that part of it?
I am hoping that by coming on here daily and having the visual from the smoke free app I might actually succeed this time.   :)
Alisa x

Kat73

• Administrator
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 12:22:51 pm »
Hi Alisa, lovely to have you with us!

First up, WELL DONE THAT WOMAN!!!!  Those first two days are seriously tough and you've got through them so be proud of yourself!

The anxiety bit is pretty common, our systems put a lot of effort into finding ways to process the poisons smoking put in to us so suddenly stopping sends everything a bit haywire.  If you find it isn't settling down then perhaps you could consider something like Kalms, Rhodiola or Rescue Remedy?  As for eating everything in sight, that's definitely par for the course!  At this point just go with it, the most important thing is to stay off the fags.  When you're further along and feel more settled in your quit then you can try and make more sensible snacking choices but right now it's best to deal with the battle in hand.  No point in fighting a war on two fronts and losing both.

You're doing great, there are sooooooo many smokers who would LOVE to be where you are right now, with two days under your belt, keep on keeping on  :)
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Max414

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 12:51:14 pm »
Hi Alisa and welcome!!
Trust me,by registering here and posting you have already improved the chances of quitting for good.  :hug:

We all know precisely the feelings you describe and the journey to a successful quit is a tortuous one; but by picking your way carefully,and by being determined with yourself,you will get to the sunlit uplands of freedom  :nobeer:

My advice is- do one hour at a time,and come here and post often as we are all long term ex smokers who managed to fix ourselves  :D
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Titch

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 01:52:59 pm »
Hello @Alidye69 First of all massive congratulations on deciding to quit and also on getting through the first day of the rest of your life.  Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do not only for your health, but for the money in your pocket, and for your non smoking friends.

Having an app to look at definitely helps to keep you motivated.  I still look at mine from time to time.  right this minute it is showing a saving of £13779.82 by not smoking for 2208 days and 15 hours and 48 mins

Like you I started on day one, which led to day 2, then week one, month one, year one etc.

Just remember the one rule to a successful quit.  If you feel a real desire to smoke then log on here, type a post then wait for 3 replies.  By then the crave will have gone and every crave you get through is one less crave to the road to freedom.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:56:45 pm by Titch »
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 06:00:24 pm »
Welcome to the forum from me too @Alidye69 and HUGE congratulations on your quit!  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

I remember the anxiety all too well but- as with all the difficult side effects of quitting- it will pass and you'll increasingly notice all the wonderful positives. I bet already you can see the difference in your skin and hair not to mention notice the gradual improvement in you sense of taste and smell.

You'll find all the advice, support, companionship and solidarity you could possibly need here (everyone is just lovely) and I for one would be honoured to share your journey to freedom. You've managed 6 months in the past (which is brilliant by the way) and I am certain that this time you'll beat that and before you know where you are you'll be well and truly through it (and permanently nicotine free).  :)

Are you using any quitting aids or are you one of those amazingly brave cold turkey quitters?
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Alidye69

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 09:28:24 pm »
Thank you for the lovely welcome everyone.

I am using patches this time, I tried the vape stick a while ago but couldn't get on with it, coughed more with that than I did with the ciggies!  Last time I stopped I used patches and they seemed to work so thought I would try them again.
My sense of smell is certainly coming back which isn't always a good thing!  I work in a school with teenagers some of whom seem to avoid any kind of hygiene!  haven't noticed it as much before and also walking around the supermarket earlier I could tell who the smokers were as I could really smell it and it was nice to be able to think 'that was me a couple of days ago'  006
Though I know I have a long way to go before I can feel smug!

Another day nearly done  006

Max414

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:44:43 pm »
......also walking around the supermarket earlier I could tell who the smokers were as I could really smell it

Oh yes! Remember that so well,I could smell a smoker at 100 yards in no time.
I even smelt a cigar on my boss at the time and he was convinced that nobody knew,it was a one or 2 a week thing.
You're sounding confident so keep it up!!!!!  :foundbeer:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:04:53 pm »
@Alidye69 You have so picked the best group to join to help you keep going and using the quit counter was, for me, a fabulous booster.

These guys have supported me through the ups and downs because each of them has had to face their own demons and know where you are coming from.

Just keep going; just keep going.

PS welcome to the group, too.
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

steelfixer

• Penthouse Cellar Monster
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 02:35:07 am »
Welcome to here, call in whenever you feel like :) Great to have you aboard :)
Last quit 15/06/15.

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 03:30:36 am »
Welcome from me as well :D  Yes I remember going into a shop and knowing there was a smoker nearby. ;)

Yes remember NOPE Not One Puff Ever and you will get through this quit (and our support as well)  007

Gerti1

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 08:09:59 am »
Hi and welcome. This is a great group and they really help when you have questions ect. I am a newbie and because of all these lovely people on here I am now 3 months quit !! I am also using patches like you and they have worked a treat for me. Take one day/hour at a time and you will get there :)
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 10:10:54 am »
@Gerti1 , not such a newbie now!  :)

@Alidye69 , I used patches too and they worked for me (I used them in tandem with lozenges for when I needed an 'instant' hit). Love the smelly teenagers story! You'll have to start lying in wait as they pass and spray them with Chanel...  ;D

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 12:07:32 pm »
YAY!!!  :foundbeer:  Great to see you still going for it @Alidye69, those first three days are a mahoosive challenge and you are WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does your quit smoking app tell you today?
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Alidye69

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 03:14:46 pm »
Thank you everyone.
I think the challenge now is going to be the weekend!  I am meeting up with a group of friends and having a girls night in which will involve alcohol!  I am hoping that I can stay strong.  I haven't told any of my friends or family that I have quit because of all the previous failures and I didn't want to have to face the 'oh no you've started again' talks!  My plan is to not say anything and keep away from the back door  010  Wish me luck lol
Today my app is telling me I have saved £19.05 by not smoking 49 ciggies in 78hrs 29mins and I have gained 19 life hours   006
Seeing that makes me feel good, so perhaps if I get a weak moment I will look at my app.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 05:07:51 pm »
Go for it @Alidye69 - you can do it. Stay away from that door and if it all gets too much make an excuse and log onto the forum for moral support.  :)