Kick those cigarette butts with us!! Join up now for fun, friendly, free support with your quit.

Author Topic: Day 3 coming to an end.  (Read 952 times)

Nigalius

Day 3 coming to an end.
« on: January 13, 2017, 09:34:12 pm »
Day three is nearly over and I am quite happy with myself. My last smoke was over 74 hours ago and My cough is nigh on gone, just had one cough today where as a smoker I would get about 20 or 30 at least. I have only had one wheeze fit as well and stamina I think is a little better but not much change there at the moment. Seeing these changes certainly gives me encouragement to carry on.

I did worry when I started that I might get the strong urge for a smoke when I have a drink. Well, I do like a drink, nothing major though and I never start until 21.00 or there about and I am drinking a glass of red right now and can honestly say the urge for a smoke is no stronger than any other time of the day.

After 7 days I am going to do what has been suggested to me and go somewhere out of the way and just breath in and see if I can notice anything different to what I can smell.   
I know a lot of things, I just cant remember them.

tea

• Administrator
Re: Day 3 coming to an end.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 09:44:27 pm »
It's not so much a change, but certainly something to look forward to: that feeling of satisfaction when you go to see your GP and tell him that you don't smoke.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 09:55:15 pm »
Those first three days are without doubt the most gruelling mate, so be very, VERY proud of yourself, that's a MASSIVE achievement! :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

If you're able to, a nice idea is to stick your fag money in a jar every time you would normally have needed to buy some and make a point of spending it on something special - some have saved it and had a holiday, I remember someone buying a car, others just buying themselves regular treats.  If it's something you can do, it's a great way to reward yourself.
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Nigalius

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 10:18:25 pm »
It's not so much a change, but certainly something to look forward to: that feeling of satisfaction when you go to see your GP and tell him that you don't smoke.

I have thought of that many times and do have medical issues. I go to Ninewells hospital in Dundee quite regularly and cant wait to tell him that........... not so much I dont smoke but that I have not had a smoke for XXX days.

The following users thanked this post: Lostie

Nigalius

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 10:23:55 pm »
Those first three days are without doubt the most gruelling mate, so be very, VERY proud of yourself, that's a MASSIVE achievement! :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

If you're able to, a nice idea is to stick your fag money in a jar every time you would normally have needed to buy some and make a point of spending it on something special - some have saved it and had a holiday, I remember someone buying a car, others just buying themselves regular treats.  If it's something you can do, it's a great way to reward yourself.

I will certainly be 'treating' myself with the money I save. I can buy fillet steak now and again, salmon and some of the nice things in life. I have also been real busy today and started cleaning the whole place. Today it was most of the paintwork, Tomorrow it will be a lot of the walls.

The following users thanked this post: KitKat

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 12:45:16 am »
Now that sounds perfect, you can treat yourself to a really nice bottle of red to go with that fillet steak, all courtesy of your new found freedom!
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

TG

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 01:57:57 am »
Brilliant!!!  All that horrible nicotine is out of your body,  let's keep it that way  ;)

You are doing great @Nigalius onwards and upwards to day four!!  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 07:35:55 am »
Congratulations from me on finishing your 3 days.  :foundbeer:  It's a big deal

Helene

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 08:05:19 am »
I will certainly be 'treating' myself with the money I save. I can buy fillet steak now and again, salmon and some of the nice things in life. I have also been real busy today and started cleaning the whole place. Today it was most of the paintwork, Tomorrow it will be a lot of the walls.

For me it's to travel, and What wonderful trips I have done in the last three years.  It is so worth it.

Helene

Sally

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 09:41:30 am »
Well done on three days, have a good day four and don't forget to go get that fillet steak and bottle of wine, you deserve it after getting through those first three days.
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Gerti1

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 10:43:08 am »
So pleased to read your post, well done as I know how hard things can be. The breathing easier is a very promising carrot for you as there is no better thing in life than having your own breath. They say 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months can be troublesome times and I agree as I had dips in my mood at 3 days, weeks, I haven't conquered the 3 months bit yet. Wondering if the 3 years is tricky, anyone?
Mind set is where success is and for the 1st month-ish I kept repeating a little mantra which I read in a book and I truly feel it has helped me,

I am free to smoke whenever I want to
If I choose to smoke I can
At this moment I am choosing not to smoke
Because it is affecting my breathing

I would try to 'feel' what I was saying and not just say it as such, so I would think ''I really am free to smoke if I choose to, If I really want to smoke, I can....... but at the moment I am choosing not to''

The book states that many of us have failed quitting before due to fear and that little mantra can really help.

Wishing you every success :)
I am free to smoke whenever I want to.
I am choosing not to smoke at the moment.
Because it stops me breathing.
Quit 25th November 2016
Smoked 20-25 a day for 30 years

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 12:13:06 pm »
I have thought of that many times and do have medical issues. I go to Ninewells hospital in Dundee quite regularly and cant wait to tell him that........... not so much I dont smoke but that I have not had a smoke for XXX days.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's SUCH a wonderful feeling is that! I remember being well chuffed when I told my dentist and he removed the 'red flag' from my records.

@Nigalius , you really should be seriously proud of yourself. You're a total star- I hope you know that?  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 08:32:34 pm »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's SUCH a wonderful feeling is that! I remember being well chuffed when I told my dentist and he removed the 'red flag' from my records.

@Nigalius , you really should be seriously proud of yourself. You're a total star- I hope you know that?  :hug: :hug: :hug:

What Skiddaw said and well done from me too

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it