Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 2 for me and I am surprised.  (Read 2853 times)

Nigalius

Day 2 for me and I am surprised.
« on: January 12, 2017, 03:10:57 am »
Well, I am into day 2 now, 32 hours without a smoke. It is obviously not easy and as I am already suffering from a cold which I have a feeling is going to be a heavy one that makes me feel a bit down as well.

But..... I cant explain it, I actually think I feel a bit better. My cough is better without doubt. Not right yet but I would say at least 50% better. As for other feelings of improvement I cant say that I have noticed that yet. Can anyone tell me, I hope it is not my imagination about my cough, would I really notice an improvement after 32 hours?

Although I still have my tobacco here I just have not used it but after being a smoker for 50 years it is like a habit and have been reaching out for a smoke many times. So, now I have put it under my table out of sight. I still reach out now and again and for a second think to myself, wheres my baccy.

I have not noticed myself getting irritable which surprises me as I am not proud to say I can tend to be like that now and again.

What might the next improvement be that I start to feel. I dont consider my breathing to be a problem and can work in the garden, go shopping for a hour or so but I do have mild COPD. Might I notice an improvement in that sometime in the future. My COPD is so mild that no one would notice unles I told them.

Finally, it has all been forward steps at the moment but I fully expect a backward step occasionally. But 20 steps foreward one step back I can cope with. If there are no backward steps at all that will be even better.

Nigel
I know a lot of things, I just cant remember them.

The following users thanked this post: Skiddaw

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
Re: Day 2 for me and I am surprised.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 03:44:45 am »
I'm proud of you Nigel. You have done well :)

Good idea of moving your baccy. I understand what you mean about automatically lighting up.  You could possibly put a rubber band around it to make you register you don't smoke or put it in a tin, or paper bag. Just something different to make you stop and think.

I do remember that when I stopped smoking my cough stopped but can't remember exactly when. It was very early in my quit. Something I did notice was a tingling in my fingers and toes and it took me a little while to work out it was the circulation coming back :D

Oh, just to warn you that in my case I was really, really angry from about day 5-10 which was so unlike me. It might not happen to you but just be aware.

Just keep going slowly and come on here and post if you need to.

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 04:05:53 am »
That's great mate, you've made a really good start!

I kept my baccy like a safety blanket, but had it zipped away in an inner pocket in my bag so that I had the mental comfort of knowing it was there but not the visible temptation if you see what I mean.

As for the benefits you'll notice, it's quite bizarre what happens although it seems to happen at different stages for different people.  I'm not surprised you've already seen an improvement in how you feel, after all, it's been more than 24 hours since you've drawn into your body all those toxins that it's been battling to process for years.  One of my favourite things was the return of my sense of taste.  Now don't get me wrong, obviously that's not something we lost while we were smoking, but all of a sudden it seemed as though everything began to taste twice as good!  Quite bizarre, and not very helpful when you're trying not to pile on the pounds, but definitely a lovely benefit.  My circulation improved as well, so did my skin (weird, but true) and, amazingly, once I was out of the early stages of quitting, I realised that actually a huge amount of my stress was down to the pressure of "when/where can I next smoke?" and now that was gone I was actually a much less stressed person than I had always thought!  Mum always said I was a ratty so and so, but has had to eat her words as it seems that was down to me being an addict, not my natural bent!

Stay in touch and, if you start to struggle and feel like you might stumble, then try the 3 post rule.  Write a post on here and make a deal with yourself that you must wait for 3 replies before doing anything.  This always seems to work, I think it might be because we've mentally told that crave "forget it, I'm waiting for my replies" and it peters out and slinks away, defeated.

Looking good Nigel, keep on trucking  :)

Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Max414

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:39:44 am »
Cracking start Nigel!
If you can ,tell yourself that this is it.That failing is not an option. That quitting is now a long but steady climb out of the dark stinking swamp,up a hillside towards a land of golden glades and sunlit uplands  8)
A successful quit does feel like a long march but,just as if you were walking up the side of a 20,000 foot mountain,keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will that way reach the Top.If you keep stopping to look around,to see how far there is to go,to compare how far you have climbed with how far yet to go,that might sap your willpower-don't do that until you have a decent amount of time under your belt  ;)
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 11:45:45 am »
YAAAAAAAY our @Nigalius !!!  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

What a fantastic start you have made! You're quite right to be prepared for set-backs and curved balls but just continue to take it minute by minute (and hour by hour) and you'll crack on through I promise.

What I discovered when I quit was that whilst I thought I had no smoking-related issues at all, I very quickly felt completely different. I didn't have a cough as such, but the little wheeze I had started to notice at night vanished, I could breath in like a pair of bellows without coughing, I could laugh without coughing and I could suddenly run as well as walk fast. My skin, hair and nails changed utterly (people kept asking me if I'd been away because I looked so well) and my gums 'plumped up' if that makes sense. I slept better, rediscovered my sense of taste and could suddenly smell things I hadn't smelled for years (the lime tree blossom in local park was one striking example). I was honestly gob-smacked at the difference quitting made (and realised that actually, smoking was having a huge impact on my life and health). I ran a half-marathon the year after quitting (and was comfortable throughout) as well as finding I could climb fells more quickly than I had twenty years ago and you can't say fairer than that.  :)

I'm sure that this will be a true voyage of discovery for you and I shall be thrilled to hear about your experiences and progress.  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

TG

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 01:42:54 pm »
You are doing so well @Nigalius just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I had a cough when I smoked that just disappeared over night.  It is surprising how quickly our bodies can heal.  Of course in other ways you may feel worst before you feel better.  But if you keep going, things well get so much better.
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

steelfixer

• Penthouse Cellar Monster
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 03:31:33 pm »
Go all the way Nigel, it takes time but the improvements that come around over time are worth it. :)
Last quit 15/06/15.

Nigalius

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:32:27 pm »
Thanks for all the support everyone, I am really sure that is a big thing to quitting. I wont answer each suggestion individually as that would mean keep going in and out of this page. Hope no one minds me doing that. I am over the moon that my cough has improved so dramatically and as someine has mentioned I am pretty sure my wheezing is a good deal better too. But it might be a while before I can confirm that. As for me tasting food, I love all food and the more, the better,  :) .  I have not yet noticed a change in that.

I do hope that no one minds me rambling on about my quit. One thing that gives me will power is seeing results. When I trained for the marathon many years ago I could not just train the same each evening, I had to see results and it worked. Same as my quitting the smokes, I would have to see results or I would likely stop. Well, its working as my less coughing shows, less weezing and I also have a suspicion stamina is better though that was never much of a problem, just mild COPD.

Well, its now 49.1/2 hours and wonder what I will be like this time tomorrow.

Thanks All

Nigel

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 08:37:04 pm »
I quite like your experimental attitude. So I challenge you to do one whole week and then eat some mango, mandarins or grapefruit.

That was where I noticed the taste difference - in tangy, citrus fruits. It took a couple of weeks and I had warm feet that I was really excited about.

It's like you're daring yourself to see how far you can go.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Nigalius

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 09:19:27 pm »
I quite like your experimental attitude. So I challenge you to do one whole week and then eat some mango, mandarins or grapefruit.

That was where I noticed the taste difference - in tangy, citrus fruits. It took a couple of weeks and I had warm feet that I was really excited about.

It's like you're daring yourself to see how far you can go.

You are quite right there Tea. I had never thought of it to see how far I could go but I think that is what I am doing. On many days I find some time when I did not smoke and think I have beaten that record. My last record was when I went to Capetown and that was a 14 hour flight without a smoke. Well, I have beaten that. The next one is 4 days, I was in hospital for 4 days for an op on my prostate. I will beat that one next. But, it will be months before I beat the 12 weeks in hospital with Septic shock.

I will do what you suggested and have some high citrus fruit. I would love to have Grapefruit but that is a no-no s I am on statins for cholesterol. Perhaps Satsuma or Tangerines will be the same.

Thanks

Nigel

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 11:45:55 am »
Morning @Nigalius   :)

Also, when you've completed your first week, stand outside somewhere away from traffic, etc, take a really deep breath and sniff the air. I'll bet you anything you'll really notice the difference both in your lung capacity and in what you can smell.  ;D
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Nigalius

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 01:48:31 pm »
Morning @Nigalius   :)

Also, when you've completed your first week, stand outside somewhere away from traffic, etc, take a really deep breath and sniff the air. I'll bet you anything you'll really notice the difference both in your lung capacity and in what you can smell.  ;D

I will give that a go. I dont know about my lung capacity as I have always had a fir size capacity. Its just that I could not breathe in too much or it would make me cough. As for my sence of smell I hope that is right and look forward to trying what you suggested.

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 09:21:25 pm »
I know a lot of us who quit at this time of year really noticed the return of our sense of smell when spring arrived which was lovely but, be warned, it had its bad side too - I've always struggled emptying the cats' litter tray anyway and with a newly improved sense of smell it was beyond dire, as was the stench from when they'd spread the fields nearby with fish/blood/bone manure!
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13