Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 3  (Read 767 times)

JanTregunna

• Giving up smoking....again!
    • The Cornish Quitter
Day 3
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:58:09 am »
Well it's day 3 into my quit smoking journey and I have to say I'm feeling pretty crap. I'm no Willy Wonka, I'm not into sugar coating *****! I feel wretched, confused and anxious. People have twigged now that I'm giving up smoking. They didn't notice that I had actually stopped smoking, they just noticed my incredibly bad mood, irritability and short temper.

The vivid dreams have started as well. I had an awful nightmare last night about offices and co-workers and a pile of paperwork to trawl though only to wake up and find it was actually happening! I dreamt that I walked into the office, sat at my desk where there were some old Christmas cards and an empty plate with biscuits crumbs left on it and I sighed heavily as I faced my desktop PC. Five hours later it has become a reality coupled with acute nicotine withdrawal! The question now is, how the hell do I get through today?!?!?

I'm now concerned that things will get far worse before they get better. I'm booked in for another appointment with the quit smoking service. Hopefully they will supply me with some kind of medication, or nicotine replacement therapy or whatever really. I feel I need some kind of heavy sedative or even locking up as I'm mentally unhinged right now. I'll do anything to take this feeling of irritability and anxiety away apart from drink alcohol because then I will just not give a ***** and just start smoking again.

For some reason the anxiety is worse this time round. I haven't started feeling the really bad physical withdrawals yet it's the anxiety for now which is getting to me.
Jan Tregunna

hellerscatch

Re: Day 3
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:04:58 am »
Well done on getting to day 3 Jan! I went to the smoking cessation clinic at my doctors and got patches, they worked really well for me for the first few months. Am sure if you make an appointment they will have something to help you through too.
I had dreams for a long time, the worst ones were the ones where I lit up a cigarette, was so disappointed in myself till I woke up and realised I hadn't actually caved in  :D
Stick at it, it really is worth it, good luck x

The following users thanked this post: Lostie, JanTregunna

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 10:08:50 am »
Oh dear, Jan I know it can be terrible. I do hope your day improves for you.  I remember the anger. I live alone but got to the stage that I couldn't answer the phone or talk to people.  I wouldn't have had any friends left at all. I even had a go at my Doctor, after all it was him that made me quit  ;D ;D I also nearly had two accidents in the car and I didn't care, it was my road and I would drive how I wanted ;D   I have always been a careful driver, except that first week of my quit.

Unfortunately I ate lots of chocolate and as you're not into sugar, someone suggested 'Fisherman's Friend" to suck on. Not sure how much sugar would be in them. I know you can't do it at work, but someone else used to freeze grapes and just have them when she needed them.

Just think that at the end of day 3 the nicotine should be out of your system and there rest will just be in your mind.

See I was right, you've already got another reply. I also had those dreams of smoking and even woke up a couple of times crying it seemed so real. What I relief when I woke up and hadn't smoked. :)

I'm sure there will be others around to post and encourage you on your journey.  Chin up and good luck for today
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:10:23 am by Lostie »

The following users thanked this post: JanTregunna

Teflon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 10:20:54 am »
I wont beat about the bush, you will feel rubbish. Your body will try to trick you into smoking cos it will make all the bad feelings go away, and to be honest they will.

but if you keep off you will firstly get an enormously empowering feeling for having beaten another day, and secondly tomorrow will get easier.

Keep going, most dont make it this far so you are already winning :D

The following users thanked this post: Lostie, Skiddaw, JanTregunna

Sally

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 10:24:33 am »
Sorry to hear you are having such a a bad time.  It will pass, but you do have to get through this difficult bit first.  I used NRT lozenges, I found they really took the edge of the cravings, but do see your stop smoking advisor as they will work out what's best for you.  Just concentrate on getting through a minute or hour at a time today.  Well done for persevering and getting to Day 3 and do post again if you need to.
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 10:50:51 am »
Oh @JanTregunna ... you could be me writing that.... it brought back such vivid memories. As @Teflon says, you can't- unfortunately- get around the fact that you feel worse before you start to feel better but if you can hold on and get through this, you WILL start to feel better (in fact, you'll feel better than you ever have in your whole life  :hug: :hug:).

I know you will have heard it all before, but don't think in days or weeks or months. Just concentrate on getting through the next few minutes. Time will hang heavy for a while and you'll feel utterly disembodied but before you know it the seconds will have turned into minutes and hours (and then to weeks and months and you'll be able to look back at the road you have travelled and know that it was worth it all).

In the meantime, take whatever help you can get. Rant and rave to us, see the smoking cessation nurse, use patches, lozenges, whatever it takes to get you through it. We'll be here I promise and you won't feel like this forever.  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

And you're doing BRILLIANTLY by the way!!  :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Titch

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 12:09:12 pm »
Day 3 is known to be a bummer but do whatever it takes to get through it and you wont ever have to do Day 3 again. 
Stay in bed if needs be, have a bath or shower, punch a pillow, twang a rubber band round your wrist, poke a needle in your eye kick a little kid with glasses (thats a joke dont really do it) but get through the day and tomorrow you will be so proud of yourself.
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 12:42:16 pm »
Don't forget quitting will mess with your blood sugar too so you do need to have something sweet regularly to top you up. Fisherman's Friends were great for me as the sharp taste took my mind off of the taste I was 'craving', but a sherbet lemon or an extra strong mint could be the same.

Let us know how you are getting on. Remember if you don't need an alibi or bail money it's still a good day.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)