Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 1  (Read 4907 times)

flips

• Never Doubt
Re: Day 1
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 03:09:35 pm »
Thank you all!
Day two is here  :) less cravings than yesterday but didn’t get much rest last night due to Insomnia and interrupted sleep. I read that it is normal for insomnia to be an issue when people stop smoking but also that I should not drink as much caffeine as I used to when I smoked because caffeine doesn’t affect smokers as much as non-smokers. I realised today that I had a lot of caffeinated drinks yesterday – even more than usual because I was having little breaks. Anyway I was really careful with today.
So far so good  :) Although I am worried about how I will react going back to work on the 3rd – that is normally an issue and where it goes wrong after I stop…
20 year, 20+ day smoker
quit cold-turkey with help of Allen Carr
Last cigarette: 30.12.2016 @ 10:30PM :-D
"The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love and to be greater than our suffering." Ben Okri

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 03:12:49 pm »
Good luck with day 2 @flips and don't worry about day 3 until it comes. ;)  You can do this, you've got all of us behind you this time ::)

The following users thanked this post: flips

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 03:22:00 pm »
Apparently the science behind the caffeine and nicotine bit is how the nicotine would usually affect your blood sugar....so they say sipping cranberry juice is really good if you get a craving because it brings your blood sugar back up. Caffeine just brings your blood sugar down further - so you can have coffee but maybe need a biscuit to go with it. The occasional biscuit is surely not a bad thing?!

So keep going! It's quite cold and windy this week so not going out for smoke breaks will probably not be a bad thing: stay in the warm and have a coffee and a biscuit or pop in here and distract yourself for 5 minutes.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Doodlebug

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 03:23:12 pm »
Hi Flips. Great that you are having less cravings today. Sleep is always an issue in the early days of a quit but it won't last forever.
Will you be able to pop on here if you need anyone when at work? Really helped me having people to talk me through a bad patch. Keep going you can do this
Quit cold turkey 1/1/2014.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 05:12:35 pm »
@flips , try changing your routine when you return to work. That's what I did. You don't have to tweak it by much, just enough to fool the smoking trigger in your brain a wee bit. It'll soon die off I promise.

You're a total star you are.  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :hug: :hug: :hug: ;D ;D ;D
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

TG

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 06:08:34 pm »
Lovely post @flips.  Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your quit so far  :foundbeer:  :foundbeer:
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 06:24:58 pm »
@flips I am in awe as I could never give during the festival period. Well done you. We are behind you. Just holler if you think you might crack and we'll help.
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 06:25:10 pm »
Well done mate, glad to see you hanging in there.

There are so many triggers to get past in those early days and I found the best thing was to plan what I was going to do instead.  Sitting on the sofa with a drink after a meal automatically meant lighting up to me so I literally avoided doing that for ages!  I'd get my drink and sit at my computer desk and log in to the forum or go on Facebook or something.  A cigarette break to get away from the screen was a habit that needed altering, so I would go and make a drink and pop in the conference room for a few minutes, enjoying my drink and having a break without feeding my demon.

If you can plan a new strategy for those moments when you would normally smoke then they are less likely to send you into a panic and end with you begging a cigarette off whoever is nearest.  Tough it out, that first day is a challenge that cannot be overstated and you fought your way through so you're off to a cracking start!
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Gerti1

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2017, 06:27:30 pm »
Well done Flips and try and concentrate on 1 day at a time, don't think too much about tomorrow and the rest will take care of itself :)
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

Helene

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 06:36:30 pm »
Hi flips,
Good for you, day 2

At first, I was counting the hours and yes that was important.  So much time is spent with the little devil that suddently I felt lost.

Coffee was associated with the cig for me, so I started to drink less coffee .  Because coffee was my poison of choice, i had major headache because I did not drink enaugh.  I did not drink water.

I réalise now that not only water helps me when I start to have a little headache but drinking with the bottle helps my sucking need.  ( max , I Know you are grinning)

As for sleeping, yes I had more problem sleeping at first.  The little devil kept running around my head.  With champix, I had special really naughty dreams ( not complaining )

Like you, when I stopped, I felt different then the other time.

Helene

flips

• Never Doubt
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2017, 08:23:42 pm »
Thanks all for your tips! I am really happy I joined this forum!

I am on day 3 and hardly any cravings today...very mild stuff. I think the only reason why they come is because of the associations - so when I finish a meal, or speak on the phone etc. But then I am reminding myself that actually I don't want to smoke and that I don't need cigarettes anymore because all the nicotine has left my body....so I feel ok again.
I am finding that the physical side is not important really...it's breaking the habits and keeping the addicts illusions away that is the most important thing during the process.
20 year, 20+ day smoker
quit cold-turkey with help of Allen Carr
Last cigarette: 30.12.2016 @ 10:30PM :-D
"The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love and to be greater than our suffering." Ben Okri

The following users thanked this post: tea, KitKat, Skiddaw

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 08:38:38 pm »
Oh I am pleased for you. Congrats on Day 3.

If you want me to move this into the Day 3 room just say.

I know what you mean about the phone!!  ;D I can laugh now but it was one of the things that used to get me because I just wasn't used to making it through calls with certain people without at some point pressing mute and lighting up!! It really does get easier though.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 10:05:21 pm »
Way to go @flips, you're doing GREAT! :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Helene

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 03:27:59 am »
Good for you day 3. And when you wake up will be day four...I am 6 hour behind your time in UK

We are creature of habits and yes we have to change our habits .  It took me a while but I figure I smoked for 36 years so I was not to harch with myself.

Some days were better than other so feel free to ask any question, weird question, funny question and we will tell you if one of us lived it.

Ok, here is one question I asked:  is it normal that I am bloated especially on top of belly button?  Yes, the digestive system is been cleaned like the lung and everything in your body.

helene

The following users thanked this post: tea

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2017, 10:45:05 am »
@flips , if you carry on as you've started you are SO going to the Penthouse. Well done you!!  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...