Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 1  (Read 4906 times)

flips

• Never Doubt
Day 1
« on: December 31, 2016, 02:11:03 pm »
I stopped smoking yesterday evening. Day 1 - well actually 15 hours in. I was a smoker for 20 years and lately I was smoking 30 to sometimes 40 cigarettes a day! Definitely on non-working days.
I have been preparing for this attempt for quite some time now and I am pretty determined to keep the "smoker illusion" out of my head forever. I know these first few days will be hard and that the trick is to keep a positive mind and remind myself that I don't want to be a smoker.

This is probably the 3rd serious attempt I have made over the past 7 years. The 1st one was in 2009 and I stopped for 1 year - I used the Allen Carr book. I found it really easy at the time and had a non-smoking partner that encouraged me. But after a year - and a breakup - I went out with a friend and thought "Just one cigarette is fine". NEVER AGAIN! I started smoking almost immediately and what was worse: 1. I seemed to need far more cigarettes to satisfy the cravings; 2. I started living on my own again and could smoke in the flat. No one to judge my smoking.
2nd serious attempt was in July 2014 - I listened to Allen Carr audio and this time it was not the same. I re-listened, read the book, read loads about how to prepare my body for the big day. Finally decided I had to stop and stopped. The first 2 days where not too bad. The problem was I started having trouble to sleep, I was agitated, had massive brain fog and real difficulties concentrating. I have a high demanding job so this was an issue for me. After 6 weeks I was a nervous wreck. I had started drinking alcohol in the evenings more regularly (I normally don't drink), I was having sweets and had to start taking Valium to get some rest - and even that was not helping.
I of course tried to stop many other times over the years - with patches, hypnosis etc - but normally only lasted 2 hours  to 2 days tops....until I have such a pressure in my head and anger that I could just explode at the minutest thing. And then thought - oh I will do it tomorrow or in a few months when things calm down....which never happens.
I had a lot of time to read more and reflect on what I had done wrong previously so I know this time is different and I am taking a different approach - learn from my previous mistakes. I listen to the Allen Carr again because it always takes me off the "smokers illusion" and forces me to face the reality of what I am doing and how much I actually hate smoking and how it makes me feel. I actually also watched a documentary on tobacco companies and history of it all - eye opening really.
I had started Yoga a few months back and then stopped so started that again.
I am drinking water and not snacking or drinking alcohol. I definitely know that sugar and alcohol are the worse things we can have when stopping smoking.
And I have started taking supplements: in the morning Tyrosine and DL-phenylalanine and in the evening 5-HTP (5:5:1 ratio) in addition I am taking B-complex as it helps these work better. The aim is to provide my brain with ingredients that will produce dopamine and serotonin.I have read enough about this and know that when an addict stops (whatever it is), these components go low which is why people struggle more with mood swings and difficulty in concentrating and sleeping. Fingers crossed!

However the battle is ongoing today...I know I stopped for a good reason. I don't want to smoke, my breathing is awful, I have no energy and fed up of isolating myself and chain smoke to feed an addiction that never actually subsides, I am fed up of having my live controlled by a drug.

But it is so HARD to rationalize with the "addict thoughts" such as "go one...just go and have one and then you can carry on"...I know it's the drug addiction and the "smoker illusion" coming up but nevertheless it's a long time being a smoker and having habits. The worse is - when I used to have an uncomfortable feeling I would smoke instead of actually allowing myself to sit with the feeling and see what it was about, smoking was an automatic reaction. It didn't solve the problem but that was what I did for 20 years. So now that I have stopped smoking - I am definitely uncomfortable - the classical conditioning in my brain is "go for a cigarrette"...but I no longer smoke so...this will take time to change I am sure.

The important thing I feel is helping with this is that when a craving comes I always remind myself that it is MY Choice not to smoke and that I am a non-smoker. It is not that - "I mustn't", or "I am not allowed" as if it is a sacrifice. I didn't want to be a smoker - I hated it and had great reasons to stop. So just reminding myself of this.

20 year, 20+ day smoker
quit cold-turkey with help of Allen Carr
Last cigarette: 30.12.2016 @ 10:30PM :-D
"The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love and to be greater than our suffering." Ben Okri

The following users thanked this post: tea, Kat73, Lostie, Skiddaw, Sally, steelfixer

tea

• Administrator
Re: Day 1
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 02:25:18 pm »
I've moved you to give you your own Day 1 thread because I think what you've said is really important and I want you to be able to find it again to look back on when you're on Day 7 or Day 365.

It is a choice, and to get to where you want to be you have to take it minute by minute and hour by hour until it's day by day, week by week, month by month and then year by year.

If you've done it before you can achieve it again.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: flips

Max414

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 02:26:49 pm »
Hey Flips
Welcome!
So much of what you write,I remember thinking. So much! Let's get this in perspective-when you stop smoking,you have really not 'given up' anything-you have advanced yourself to a much BETTER place,just by quitting.And that is as true in one hour as it is of one year. That's easy for me to say after 4 years non smoking but it is also very true and a large part of quitting successfully I think,is by playing the psychological dirty tricks of smoking against smoking itself.
Every 30 minutes you go with no ciggie,is a VICTORY -a victory is a good thing so be proud of yourself when you go 30 minutes or an hour or a day  ;D
You have read Allen Carr extensively, as I did too.I read it 3 times before the penny dropped but it did drop  8) Most of all though Flips you have made a statement of intent and done it here on our friendly forums,you are in good company with others who smoke and want to stop,and with the likes of myself who was lucky enough to find the golden key that unlocked the escape hatch from the curse of smoking-and I learned a thing ot two along the way.
Good for you,let's make 2017 the year you at last nailed this-for good  :ninja:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

The following users thanked this post: flips

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 03:00:41 pm »
Hi @flips, great to have you with us  :)

It sounds to me as though you've given this quit serious thought and consideration and that, my friend, is often what makes or breaks a quit.  Getting all your ducks in a row so as to give yourself the best possible chance of success is definitely a good thing to do and you've certainly done your homework.

As you say, the difficulty of reprogramming your brain is a biggie and takes time but it WILL happen and you CAN discover life without the constant worry of "when/where can I smoke?".  If you stop and think about it, rationally and logically smoking has never made any sense so we have obviously had to construct a whole network of myths and lies AND find a way to believe in them in order to justify quite literally sending money up in smoke.  This massive construction has taken us years and years to build so dismantling it takes time.  If you have found Allen Carr helpful (and many of us have) then have yourself a good read around at some other quit books and websites, all of these will help to break down the tissue of lies and reinforce your determination to fight your way free.

Hang tough, you CAN do this!
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Helene

Re: Day
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 03:09:58 pm »
Hi flips and welcome,

I so remember your feeling you are describing.

For me it's NOPE: not one puff ever.  I just know that if I take a puff than I will smoke again. Like you did with you friend.

The first days are the worst, If i remember well the fourth one was nuts for me.  The worst of the worst.  Since I was prepared, I was able to grit my teeth and hold on. 

I drink water from the bottle, and it has to be very cold.  It does not help as much with a glass. 

Writing with this group really helped me go thru all sort of things , not only not smoking but for stress, panick attact, high joy....

Hey, when you are a smoker, everything makes you want to smoke.  Such A little devil always lurking around to say:  tag, got you.

Helene
Free for nearly 3 years after 36 years of smoking at least 25 a day.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 04:26:20 pm »
Hi @flips  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I can't add much to what has already been (so wisely) said, either by the others or by you yourself in your wonderful post, but I can at least say that there's not one of us who hasn't been there in some form or other and not one of us that won't be rooting for you and cheering you on. You just rant when you need to and I promise someone will be here to listen and- if at all possible- provide assistance.

You did it before and you CAN do it again (and this time it really will be forever).  :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

aneggisanegg

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 07:19:26 pm »
As smokers I believe one of the reasons we find it so hard to quit is that smoking just seems so enjoyable - it has that magic knack of improving the mood in every aspect of our lives.

The truth is however, that this is a complete illusion.  The only enjoyment smoking gives us is relief from the withdrawal pangs of addiction.  It is the perfect solution to the very problem it created in the first place - classic drug addiction, nothing more.  Once you see it for what it really is, it becomes so much easier to beat it.  That feeling of relief, of sheer bliss, that you feel when a hit of nicotine reaches the receptors in your brain, is in fact the relief of feeling normal again.  It is how non-smokers feel all the time!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 07:21:43 pm by aneggisanegg »

flips

• Never Doubt
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 07:46:50 pm »
Thank you so much to everyone for all your messages and encouragement! 21 hours and counting!!
I am really happy to have joined this forum as it is very refreshing to actually speak to people that "Have been there"and know what it is to try to escape  ;)

Happy New Year to All!!
20 year, 20+ day smoker
"The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love and to be greater than our suffering." Ben Okri

The following users thanked this post: Helene, Lostie, Skiddaw

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 07:57:51 pm »
I really found moving through the Days and Weeks motivating for me. It just gives you another thing to keep you going. In a few hours you can move into Day 2.

Whether you want to celebrate, ask questions (and no question is too daft), or have a rant just go for it. There are games, jokes, general banter,....just jump into whatever you feel like. I know that I found the distraction of the link game really good when my fingers were itching to be occupied. Honestly, these guys and ladies are great and they are so supportive of people through thick and thin, I can't recommend them highly enough.

Gerti1

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 08:41:55 pm »
Welcome onboard flips. I can relate to all the feelings in your post, anger, agitation, brain fog ect.. I have also tried yoga and it was the best calming exercise I have ever used. I feel if you learn from previous quits what trips you up the most then you have the ammo to succeed. Keep posting as the people on here are great and have all been there and will help you if you need it. My top tip is to keep as busy as possible for the first week or 2. :) 
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

The following users thanked this post: Helene, flips

flips

• Never Doubt
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 09:00:11 pm »
Thank you Tea.
Because this quit if different than previous quits I wonder when the peak of craving really hits the roof - is day 3 the worse?
My cravings are pretty high at the moment but keeping positive. I am now speaking to myself and telling myself that I don't want to smoke and smoking does nothing and that this is just the addiction bug purging and will go away soon... :ninja:
20 year, 20+ day smoker

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 09:12:36 pm »
They say that the 3s are the hardest: but they also say that Mondays are the worst and the 13th is unlucky..... Mind over matter....

The following users thanked this post: Helene, flips

Doodlebug

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 10:45:04 pm »
Hi Flips. Can't add much more to what's been said by others. I found posting on a forum made all the difference especially when I had a bad crave. You are obviously very ready for this and I believe you can beat this addiction. Post as much as you need to x
Quit cold turkey 1/1/2014.

steelfixer

• Penthouse Cellar Monster
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 11:29:58 pm »
Go for it Flips :) Intresting read that sounds very true.
Last quit 15/06/15.

Sally

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 10:18:28 am »
Hi @flips and welcome from me too. 

I lost two previous quits to the "one won't hurt" myth! Like Helene says, it has to be NOPE for me too.

Everybody's quit is different.  The first week or so  I found to be a bit of a novelty and I think it all hit me badly at about Day 12 so you may sail through Day 3. Just get through an hour at a time and the days will soon start to add up for you.

I hope things are easier for you at work this time around.  It didn't take me long to figure out that not having to factor in cigarette breaks, worry about coming back smelling of smoke etc etc  makes a busy and what can be very stressful job that bit less stressful.  Wasn't long before I wondered how I'd ever found the time to go outside.

Good luck with Day 2 and let us know how you are getting on.

Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges