Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Did you have a defining moment in your quit?  (Read 2315 times)

Gerti1

Did you have a defining moment in your quit?
« on: December 18, 2016, 06:34:44 pm »
I am wondering if any of you had a defining moment in your quits?
Many years ago I quit for around a year and I can vividly recall a day when I had an overwhelming crave that seemed to go on for hours. I ended up marching myself up to the local newsagents fully intending to buy cigarettes but when I reached the shops I walked straight passed, walked around the block and then went home in tears. This happened around the 3 month stage was my most successful quit to date. Just wondering if there is a barrier point, a real tough one that we all go through :)
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

tea

• Administrator
Re: Did you have a defining moment in your quit?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 10:08:33 pm »
I know what mine was and I can't remember what day, but it was in the first few weeks. I met up in the city centre with an old friend who had always been my smoking buddy at work. I had pre-warned her that I'd quit and I was just starting to have problems with nightmare neighbours so was generally having anxiety issues as well. Anyway we had a coffee, looked around a department store and I could tell that she was getting anxious....she said that she wanted to go for a cigarette while I was just buying a candle and I said "okay wait a second and I'm coming" but she was so desperate to get outside so I kind of ran after her and then she kept apologising and I kept saying that it was fine, I understood and I hadn't changed and she didn't have to avoid me being there. But, it was a bit like a mirror I suppose....how many times had I done that? Anyway then she was smoking and I wasn't; and I was comfortable with that. That's what surprised me and was my turning point that I could do it, if I could have that day with a smoker so soon, despite being nervous about it and be the strong one then I could do it and I already was.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: Gerti1

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 08:52:51 am »
Oh I remember mine too @Gerti1 .

It was 6 months in and I was a witness at best friend's wedding. It was a very small affair (second time around and they'd deliberately kept it very low key) but of those present, her husband, her adult son and the other witness (close friend of her husband) all smoked and as soon as we made it out of the registry office all three of them lit up. I had the most overwhelmingly strong crave- hadn't experienced anything like it in months- which really took me by surprise. I was that close to asking one of them for a quick puff but I managed to pull myself together. I had to shut myself in the toilet until it passed but thankfully it did and I never experienced anything quite so powerful again. It made me realise I could never, ever, let down my guard.

That was my defining moment without a doubt.  :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: tea, Helene, Gerti1

Finally!

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 03:01:22 pm »
Difficult question as I don't think I had just one defining moment, but several.

Many times during months 3-9 I'd think I'd want a smoke but the moment just passed without incident.
Would have to remind myself of the hassle I had stopping in the first place and then the reason I was stopping.
Knowing full well that if I had just one, I'd be back on the slippery slope again.

And that's not going to happen :)
Finally quit after 35 years & several attempts.
Used Champix this time and it worked a treat!!
Last smoke 1 Nov 2013 and still going strong :)

The following users thanked this post: tea, Gerti1

Phil Coulson

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 07:00:22 pm »
The only defining moment in mine was when I stubbed out my last, ever, cigarette.

The following users thanked this post: tea, Gerti1

TG

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 01:38:14 pm »
Not sure I can say a defining moment,  there we're lots of times I could have failed.  The difference was that I had made my mind up that smoking was no longer for me.  If I wanted to quit I would have to go through the withdrawals , the mind game and deal with all life events with out smoking or keep going around and around in circles.

I glad I made that decision , it was the right one.
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

The following users thanked this post: AndrewG, Gerti1

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 02:14:22 pm »
Yes, I did and unlike the others, mine wasn't when I overcame a really strong and unexpected crave.

I couldn't tell you at what point it was for sure but it was within the first few months and I got into bed at night and it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't thought about smoking ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:  I was so relieved and so very grateful it made me more determined that I was not going to let myself end up back under the smelly yellow thumb ever again.  Having spent the majority of my life working out when I could next smoke, when I could next get to the shop, whether I had enough money, etc, etc the sheer bliss when I realised I had finally gone a whole day without the idea even crossing my mind was mind blowing :D
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

The following users thanked this post: Skiddaw, AndrewG, Gerti1

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 05:21:55 am »
I was just thinking about your moment of truth yesterday @Gerti1, might that be a defining moment do you think?
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Gerti1

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 08:10:41 am »
I think it could well have been Kat, time will tell :)
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018