Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: The laws of addiction  (Read 1851 times)

TG

The laws of addiction
« on: November 03, 2016, 01:37:28 pm »
We have all heard of NOPE or you should have. If you haven't it stands for Not One Puff Ever! As a ex-smoker that is the most important mantra ever. Like with a alcoholic they can not have a sip or a drug addict who can never have another fix. It's important, right.

Recently, two friends who had quit smoking before me have lost there quits. One went away to Jamaica and decided to smoke a spliff. He has been back on UK soil for two weeks now and has started buying cigars. His intake is slowing going up.

The next one tried his sons e-cigarette out of curiosity and because of the nicotine in the device, he started to get craving again. I last saw him with a pack of ten.

That is how easy it is to slip back. NOPE doesn't feel so powerful later on in your quit, but it should be. Just a little nugget can put us straight back to slavery.

Our brains are another culprit to our demise. They are too good at doing their job's!

Our brains our like sponge's, they sock up information and file it away in various places. They also work like a filter. Wiping out bad memories and keeping the good ones. The pain disappears, long forgotten. Good memories are left. That can cause danger for us addicts.

It causes fake memories, make us feel like we are missing something we enjoyed, oh, if only I could have "just one". The just one illusion. Is the biggest lie of them all!

Remember these 3 basic rules and nothing can catch you unawares.
  • Stick to NOPE! -There is no waiving from this. You are no different from anyone else. You take the risk and the addict will awaken.
  • False memories -If you really want to know how it is to smoke, ask someone that still smokes, how they really feel or ask on sites like this one.
  • Finding the perfect excuse. Bad things happen, sometimes, that is life I am afraid. Smoking will not help. Don't look for a reason to smoke. There is none.
The law of addiction is there forever. It's gets easier, so much easier. But never think you are completely safe. The rules are there for a reason.

This video is about drug addiction but it rings true with smoking too!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUngLgGRJpo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUngLgGRJpo</a>

http://youtu.be/HUngLgGRJpo
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

The following users thanked this post: tea, Netty, Lostie, Skiddaw, Sally

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
Re: The laws of addiction
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 05:07:56 pm »
Well said @TG  :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: TG

Max414

Re: The laws of addiction
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 10:39:48 am »
Great advice Hayley. ;)
Luckily I don't know anyone that I see regularly that smokes so temptation is not there but I KNOW if it WAS there then the temptation would be there,too.

It cannot be too strongly emphasised about N.O.P.E. ....it is the single greatest piece of advice,I think.
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

The following users thanked this post: TG