Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Prepare for Stoptober  (Read 3265 times)

tea

• Administrator
Prepare for Stoptober
« on: September 22, 2016, 09:25:04 am »
Are you preparing for Stoptober? Some of our established quitters started off doing exactly the same.

So JustQuit members......what would be your top tips for someone about to start their quitting journey?
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
Re: Prepare for Stoptober
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 11:47:05 am »
I quit with Champix so I would say don't be afraid to use patches, gum or what ever to get you started.

Before I quit (and on other attempts) I would cut down my cigs before hand. I wrote down every cig I had and found it really helped to cut down. I would try and extend the time between each cigarette. It may work for you.

This may not work for all and might be a bit risky. You know what type of person you are. I needed a 'security blanket' and after I admitted it, I found others had done the same thing. I kept some of my cigarettes, so I knew they were there if I really wanted one. I never found the need. I chose not to smoke. Others will get rid of all things that reminded them of smoking ashtrays, lighters, and of course cigarettes.  You know what is best for you.

Another thing I did was not tell anyone I was quitting. I gradually told people at the 2 week mark and then a month. A couple of people said I would never quit and I had great delight in telling them I hadn't smoked for 2 weeks etc.  :D I found I had a lot of positive support once they new I had actually stopped smoking.

Once you start your quit just persist with it. It may be hard but if you can get through the first 3 days, then the first week, then the first month, believe me it will all be worth it long term. Just try and remember NOPE Not One Puff Ever.  Of, and don't do as I did and eat lots of chocolates, try and keep an eye on your weight.

Come on here whenever you are struggling, of just to let us know how you are going. Don't worry, people will not judge you and most would have gone through what you are going through with your quit. Don't be afraid to post and ask questions.

The following users thanked this post: tea, KitKat, una-g, Sally

Jenny

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 07:11:12 pm »
For me I needed to make sure any left overs were destroyed

I set a frame of mind that said I was going to be tried and fed up so I was prepared to go to be early and allow myself mope on the settee

I also logged on to the forum many times a day

I soon believed that if I COULD make it to the one year mark all of the pain would be gone. Loads of posts on the forum supported this idea. For me i soon bought into the idea of counting days, weeks and months

Eventually that wonderful day arrives where you do get to a year and you realise fags are never the first thing you think of every morning. It is heaven. The best thing you can do. Good luck, Jenny and Alfie. Xxx

The following users thanked this post: tea, KitKat, Lostie, Skiddaw, Sally

Finally!

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 07:35:36 pm »
I spent about 10 years thinking and trying to quit smoking.
Without much success may I add!
I tried patches, gum, lozenges - the lot.
Looking back, I've come to the conclusion that during that time, although I liked the idea of quitting - deep down I really didn't want to.

But one day I tried quitting with Champix and have never looked back.
Found that willpower is still needed but not as much as other NRT.
Just the ticket, as I have zero will power

And here I am, 6 weeks off 3 years smoke free;
21135 cigarettes not smoked & £9405 not spent :)

Never felt better in my life.
Finally quit after 35 years & several attempts.
Used Champix this time and it worked a treat!!
Last smoke 1 Nov 2013 and still going strong :)

The following users thanked this post: tea, KitKat, Lostie, Skiddaw, Sally, Indigo Warrior

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 08:58:52 pm »
Like @Finally! I liked the idea so it took me a long time to actually commit. Lozenges were my friend during those quit periods.

However, this time I quit in the middle of the day and did cold turkey. I'd run out of baccy and couldn't be ar**d to go to the shops. I also rationalized that I had experienced half a day of smoking so wasn't craving and that by the following morning I would be well over twelve hours quit so less nicotine.

In addition, I had previously arranged to go to a folk festival a couple of days later. This meant I had somewhere different to the norm which was very useful to disperse myself of nervous energy. I was also with a non smoker.

Shortly after that I joined this group and downloaded "Quit Counter" and the rest, they say is history. In fact today I celebrate 13 months of being a quitter. The nicotine gremlin may still try to persuade me but the attempts are fewer and fewer and last much less.

So treat yourself to a healthier life and a fatter wallet. Join Stoptober. xxx
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

The following users thanked this post: tea, KitKat, Lostie, Skiddaw, Sally

Sally

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 07:25:53 am »
I only decided to give Stoptober a try the night before, that was 30th September 2014.  In just over a week I celebrate two year's smoke free.

I was so convinced It would be like every other quit I'd tried, that I left for work with cigarettes and lighter in my pocket.  I made it to work, taking a slightly different route from the underground station to my office.  When a colleague called to go out for a smoke break, I went and stood outside with him but didn't smoke.  It took me by surprise when I realised it had got to home time and I panicked about how I'd get through the evening.  I took myself to Boots and got some lozenges.  I used an e cig last thing at night for about a week too.  Interestingly ditching the e cig was easy, but I found it much harder to give up the lozenges.

From what I've seen Stoptober is positive and encouraging rather than preachy (if that's even a word) and it helped me initially that it was a 28 day challenge, rather than having  a "this is my last cigarette ever" moment!

Get through a minute or hour at a time.  Don't worry about the days, they'll soon add up.

Distract yourself, maybe a new hobby or I found going for a walk helped.

Just a little change in your routine may help if there are certain times or triggers when you smoke,

Reward yourself, mark all the milestones with a little treat.

Be selfish if you need to those first few days.

Post here as often as you like, there is a great bunch of people here who will help you.

Quit your way, like others here I needed to carry cigarettes around with me for about a month which you're advised not to do.  I didn't really tell anybody for the first couple of days apart from my best friend.

I couldn't plan to quit, I'd end up so stressed out when the quit date arrived, I ended up smoking more!

Just remember it does get better, I thought I liked smoking and never thought I'd be able to quit. It was hard and it wasn't pretty but everybody can quit. 

Good luck to anybody thinking of trying Stoptober.  Give it a go, after all nobody ever says they regret giving up smoking.
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

The following users thanked this post: tea, KitKat, Lostie, AndrewG, Indigo Warrior

Sally

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 07:31:23 am »
Oh and I forgot @Max414's tip which saved my quit more than once - if you must smoke put it off until tomorrow.  I was so proud I'd made it through another day and the crave had gone, by "tomorrow" I was ready to carry on again.
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

The following users thanked this post: tea, KitKat, Max414, Lostie, AndrewG, Indigo Warrior

Max414

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 01:11:02 pm »
Thanks @Sally  ;D
Like most people,most smokers that is,I had many unsuccessful tries at quitting. The longest lasted 18 months and was borne of sheer willpower,the shortest lasted a day  :-X
I eventually saw the light because of things at work.I did 25 years in the Police and back in 2012 before I retired I was noticing that the little clique of smoking pals that gathered outside the nick to puff away,was diminishing. I heard someone say that a friend had quit using Champix-good for her,I thought.
BUt it was not enough to make me act. One day in November that year I went to the Doctor about something and he said at the end 'Still smoking?' 'Yes' i replied-' 7 or 8 a day'  :-[ a lie of course-we are good at lying to ourselves,the Nicdemon helps us lie...more like 15 or 16 a day. So he said 'Do you want to see the quit smoking Nurse?' I agreed to,not thinking much of it but aware that Champix was something I could ask about.
My appointment came and there on the table was a box of Champix  :o Of course,I accepted the challenge to take this drug.Champix,along with a book called 'Easy way to stop smoking' by Allen Carr,plus a fabulous forum run by the British Heart Foundation,all spurred me into embarking on the quit that would be a FOREVER quit,and here I am happily free of cancer sticks-on December 29th it will be 4 whole years since I quit.
Trust me reader, I was the one smoker who would NEVER quit . I always told myself that you have to die of something,might as well be smoking .How pathetic!!!
My advice is this;
1. Decide this quit is for GOOD
2.Line up lots of tools to help you-Champix,nicotine replacement,THIS FORUM,help from friends,lots and lots of sweets and treats,the list goes on
3. When you feel the initial euphoria of stopping start to fade-DIG IN and hold your position-never go backwards.
4 .and KNOW that it is so worth it-Now,despite smoking since I was 21,I would no more light up a cig than inject myself with heroin,the very thought is repugnant.

You owe it to yourself,to stop smoking.Time is NOT on your side. Do It  :D

30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

The following users thanked this post: tea, Lostie, Skiddaw, Sally, AndrewG

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 04:37:31 pm »
Wow!! Well mine isn't going to come close to being as good as the advice above.

I think that my top tip is "just ask":
- ask people who have quit before what to expect, tips for your NRT (how to get those pesky patches to stick), and any strange symptoms
- ask a smoking cessation nurse for help; the NHS in the UK provide excellent support;
- ask a doctor if you get any scary symptoms or really don't feel yourself - and tell the doctor you've quit smoking.

12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: Lostie, Sally, Indigo Warrior

TG

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 07:50:49 pm »
I had to leave my two pence worth  ;D

My advice would be this:

Quitting is all about choice.

We can create the drama, or not. Create the fear, or not.

It really is very simple. As simple as stepping into the life we want and not being chained to the past. Take your quit and embrace it.

Accept support when it is offered, accept gratitude for what you have and what you have accomplished. Stick around here and you will get all that and more.

Some will travel with you on different parts of the journey but ultimately it is your quit.

Above all, believe us when we tell you, this will all be so worth it, freedom from smoking is so much better than you think it is!
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

The following users thanked this post: tea, Lostie, Skiddaw, Sally

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 02:08:30 pm »
These are wonderful!  :)

Rather late to the party but I would reitterate the tip about looking after the minutes and letting the hours, days and the rest take care of themselves. If you start thinking long-term it's easy to panic. Just concentrate on the moment because before you know it, you'll be counting in months (or years  ;D).

And treats. Lots of treats and rewards. Frequently.  :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: Lostie