Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: The "British Heart Foundation" Diet  (Read 3926 times)

tea

• Administrator
The "British Heart Foundation" Diet
« on: April 18, 2016, 05:24:38 pm »
This diet is not actually connected with, or endorsed by, the British Heart Foundation at all. But it's a 3 day diet that says you can lose 10lb in that week! (Yes, you heard me snicker). It claims to be "chemically balanced" to provide nutrition whilst giving maximum weight loss to combat obesity.

It is very restrictive in one sense, but a lady on another team is doing it so I said I would give it a try this week to support her and went armed with my list to ASDA yesterday. There are no substitutions, so if you don't like you go without. The glass of water before each meal is mandatory as well. No seasoning except salt and pepper. So today I was supposed to have;

1/2 a grapefruit
1 slice wholemeal toast
2tsp peanut butter
1 cup black coffee

4oz tuna
1 slice wholemeal toast
1 cup black coffee

2 slices of cold meat
4oz runner beans
4oz beetroot
1 apple
1 cup of black coffee

I ate the grapefruit and the tuna, skipped the bread and peanut butter and am skipping the meat as well for dietary reasons. I will not be drinking coffee with dinner either.

I am not endorsing this diet: merely being a guinea pig. If you have any kind of health issues, please do not try this at home without talking to a medical professional first.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: KitKat

KitKat

• Administrator
Re: The "British Heart Foundation" Diet
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 06:16:38 pm »
@tea on the face of it, it doesn't look very appealing, but in saying that most diets aren't that appealing anyway.

I can't see that being on this diet will do you any harm over the 3 day period and if it works I may just give it a go my self, jeez why not I've tried things a lot worse and lived.

Do keep us up to speed and let us know how you get on.

KK ;) 
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 06:23:10 pm »
Good luck with it @tea but don't get over hungry will you? I wouldn't have said you have any weight to lose going by your avatar.  :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 07:19:28 pm »
Oh no, I have loads of padding, but I'm an hourglass so it's evenly distributed @Skiddaw - a bit like a Kardashian, I exercise but it just seems to make my muscles more pronounced! As Mr T says, it's a bubble butt but it's firm!

Now to me this isn't that much of a shock to the system, but I don't usually eat breakfast and lunch; I would usually just have protein and veg for dinner and fruit as snacks. So I'm not hungry at all, I'm just missing my after work cups of tea with milk and 2 sweeteners. I've also faithfully promised not to do any extra exercise this week above my usual 1hour of walking per day. I reckon any 'weight loss' is mostly water and this diet looks low in vitamin C and calcium to me. 

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 07:28:48 pm »
As Mr T says, it's a bubble butt but it's firm!

I think pics of proof are required to verify that comment @tea  ;D

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 07:50:43 pm »
@KitKat I don't have any butt selfies

but I'm in proportion; if I was taller it would look normal I'm sure.

The following users thanked this post: KitKat

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 10:37:39 pm »
I finished Day 3 yesterday.

Day 2 was fine, there was 5 TUC crackers with cottage cheese, an apple and dinner was broccoli and carrots and I swapped the 2 hot dogs for a quorn turkey burger. The 4 spoons of ice cream was nice.

Day 3's final meal was 4oz cauliflower, beetroot and 4oz tuna fish followed by half a melon and 4 tbsp. icecream. Well I ate the cauliflower, which I thought I liked until I had gotten through 2 ounces of plain cauliflower with nothing but salt and pepper. I managed 1/3 of the beetroot. I used the tuna to take away the beetroot taste in my mouth. I felt so awful after that......I bloated up to looking like I was carrying twins and I did not feel good at all. The ice-cream was good and quite frankly you needed it after that to take the taste away.

The lady that I am doing this with reckons that she has lost weight and then today when you can eat 'normally' she made the most of it. I still felt awful after Cauliflowergate and have sworn never to touch cauliflower again and really didn't fancy food at all.

I didn't feel hungry throughout; I have lost a few lbs, but it will all be water because through the last 3 days and this morning I don't think I have ever peed that much in that space of time in my life. I had very high fallutin plans for a wonderful dinner with roast pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, salad, rice and quorn turkey burger for tonight, but my eyes were bigger than my belly and I couldn't manage it. I'm hoping to be back to normal tomorrow. I think that it is probable that eating little meals regularly throughout the day has made my stomach shrink; it's probably cowering in case it gets given cauliflower again.

I'm very wary of this diet because I was craving spinach and kidney beans on Day 3 which tells me that subconsciously I was thinking about the lack of iron. Yes, the vegetables will have iron, calcium and vitamin C in small doses, but I usually make sure that I have a high vitamin C veggie/fruit and high iron veggie/pulse in my meals and make sure that there is some calcium in there as well.

The following users thanked this post: KitKat, Skiddaw

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 08:17:37 am »
Glad you're done with it @tea . Must admit I really didn't like the look of it when you described it. I suppose for a short term, crash pre-holiday/event diet, it's fair enough (though I agree with you- most of the weight loss will be fluid) but definitely not a longer term option. I'm rather surprised BHF are endorsing it really.

Anyway, hope you can eat some proper tucker today and get back to normal  :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...