Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Month 4. Hard work.  (Read 3057 times)

Buddles

Month 4. Hard work.
« on: April 01, 2016, 10:34:22 pm »
Hello everyone. Have just started month 4 today and I'm at a friends house. Both she and her husband smoke. I'm going outside with them and using my e cig instead.... It's hard though. :(

I refuse to give in!! I know just one will only help for a minute. I will not give in for 5 mins of happiness. :) :)

TG

Re: Month 4. Hard work.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 11:19:27 pm »
That is it @Buddles i have every faith in you. You know the score and believe me when I say eventually it really won't bother you at all.

How clever are you, I love the way you pop up every so often but you are just quietly going about your business. Hopefully it should start to feel a little easier for you, I know it isn't nice at this stage of your quit to be around smoker's. Your brain will realize that you are not going to smoke, it will. The more you put yourself in that situation.

As a smoker, we would all do it, if someone would go out for a cigarette, then we all would. At the moment your brain doesn't no what to do, it needs reprogramming, and that takes time and unfortunately do these situations so that it get's that just because you are outside with smoker's that is not for you anymore.

I hope you enjoy your night and if you do have a really strong urge. Make an excuse and go to the toilet and post. Nice to hear you are still going  :hug: :hug:
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

The following users thanked this post: Skiddaw

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 12:17:58 am »
I did that kind of day in around Week 2/3 although I just had lozenges for emergencies. I remember really worrying and then the relief of; that smells awful, she's constantly stressing about going for a fag, she's scrabbling to do cigarette maths to work out whether she can afford more.......is that what I used to look like? I'd been worrying about being a stressed out quitter and being jittery. I went with her because it was our day out together, I also knew that I had to get used to it some time. It was a sunny day too, so nice to be outside. If it had been raining or snowing or cold though I'd have stayed inside.

What reasons is your head telling you that one would be nice? I'm pretty sure that it's just the voices trying to egg you on to trick you and that all of those things that it's telling you are lies; I'm truly sure.

12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Sally

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 08:00:32 am »
Lovely to hear from you @Buddles and massive well done for getting to month 4 as well as surviving an evening with smoking friends. 

Don't fall for the "I'll just have one" line, I lost two quits to that.  It wasn't until I found the lovely people on this forum, learnt a bit more about quitting and most importantly NOPE that I managed to stay quit. 

Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 10:14:09 am »
Well done indeed dear @Buddles  ;D :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

And it wouldn't be 5 minutes of happiness anyway. It'd be 5 minutes of feeling increasingly furtive and miserable (and realising that it isn't even a particularly pleasant sensation any longer) followed by hours of feeling bad about yourself. You came through it with flying colours and next time you're in that position it won't seem half as difficult.  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

steelfixer

• Penthouse Cellar Monster
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 02:48:20 pm »
I will not give in for 5 mins of happiness. :) :)

Stay strong :)

It wouldn't be 5 minutes of happiness, you'll go dizzy, feel totally awful, any anxiety that smoking used to cause known or not will come flooding back, you'll think "WHY! Did i just do that" probably straight after, a 4 month hard worked quit will be become nothing so all that suffering you have just put yourself through you'll have to do again, you'll be asking for another due to smokes being available plus when their not you'll be in the shop = more money down the grid I could sit here and go on and on on why not to do it but I hope you stay super strong and don't.
Last quit 15/06/15.

The following users thanked this post: tea, TG

steelfixer

• Penthouse Cellar Monster
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 02:51:08 pm »
P.S. That was posted from a cold turkey point of view, I have never tried a vapour thingy but I presume it may not be as bad due to the brain still getting nicotine and there wouldn't be a much of a surge on a first drag but either way I hope you don't.
Last quit 15/06/15.