Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Don't Nag  (Read 2307 times)

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
Don't Nag
« on: March 08, 2016, 11:38:49 pm »
Prior to dumping the nicotine weed I found that the adverts suggesting that you should quit, where you should go to get help and the damage it does to your body had a perverse response in that I totally ignored what they wanted me to do. Invariably I would see one coming on the TV and use that as my cue to go out and light up!

It would appear that scientists have also found a correlation in this. Personally, I am not surprised as I feel nagging or shaming only lowers the self-esteem of the individual or, as in my case, cause me to be more awkward and cussed.

Have a read and see if you can decide whether nagging motivates you or makes you run for the hills. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3482429/Want-partner-stop-smoking-Quit-NAGGING-controlling-opposite-effect-making-light-up.html

By knowing what aids or not can be the make or break for you.

Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

The following users thanked this post: tea, Malvin P Lawnmowerpants, Skiddaw, TG, Sally, AndrewG

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
Re: Don't Nag
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 08:11:27 am »
Absolutely spot-on agree @Indigo Warrior:)

I've been saying for yonks that had someone run a quit smoking campaign which championed the benefits of quitting (more money, better skin & hair, feeling fitter, no longer feeling like a social pariah, etc) it would have been far more likely to talk to me (especially if it had been based on the accounts of real-life quitters) than all the 'you will die a horrible death and it's all your fault' adverts (which, like you, just made me want to stick two fingers up at the telly and light up).

Nagging never forced anyone to do anything (other than the exact opposite) in my view.
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: Malvin P Lawnmowerpants

Malvin P Lawnmowerpants

• Breadbin
  • Hatstand
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:20:04 am »
Totally agree, nagging me to give up smoking would never have worked.

You have to be selfish and own your own quit for definite - if you don't really want it and feel pressured by others to quit you're not in any control*

(*In my humble opinion)

However, the threat of fish slappage never did any harm  ;D

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't climb a ladder with a bell in both hands...

Quit date: 01/10/2014
Smoked for 22 years sadly...

The following users thanked this post: Skiddaw, Indigo Warrior

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 05:56:57 pm »
Can't say I participated in National Non-smoking day as I hadn't registered it was today and, if I had, I might have been tempted to do the opposite.

By default is my participation but if it helps someone else that's brill.
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 06:47:46 am »
Just came across this old post.  @Indigo Warrior how very true your post was.

I would see a quit smoking ad and it would just remind me to light up....which is what I would promptly do :)

I decided I would quit when I was ready not when someone tried to bully me into quitting.  Having said that I think the best thing I ever did was quit smoking. :foundbeer:

The following users thanked this post: tea, KitKat, Sally, Indigo Warrior