Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Home remedies  (Read 8192 times)

Kat73

• Administrator
Home remedies
« on: April 10, 2015, 08:21:18 pm »
Having come down with the foul cold/flu type virus that is doing the rounds I'm in need of my Gran's answer to a tickly cough - honey and whisky in equal parts - and it got me thinking, what family remedies do other people have?

We have whisky and honey for tickly coughs (Gran) and a brew made with black treacle, vinegar, lemon and water for chesty coughs (Great Uncle Albert).  Upset tums call for brandy and warm water (still can't bear the smell of it) and catarrh flees when you cut dairy out of your diet and eat more garlic (can't remember where those came from).

I can't remember Mrs Wong's cure all for assorted viruses (I know it involves ginger and Coke) so will have to report back with the one that balances your ying and yang.

So what do you guys use when you're under the weather and where did you get the recipe?
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

tea

• Administrator
Re: Home remedies
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 08:37:53 pm »
Tom Yum Soup

1.5 litres stock
1 heaped tsp tom yam paste
1 stick lemon grass
4 tsp nam pla (fish sauce)
3 small red chillies chopped finely
1 tsp sugar
150g mushrooms halved or quartered
500g prawns, chicken or quorn pieces
5 spring onions
Chopped coriander
Juice of 1 lime

Grill chosen meat/prawns or oven heat quorn until cooked. Heat the stock and tom yam paste in a large saucepan with the lemongrass, fish sauce, chillies and sugar. Bring to the boil, add mushrooms and meat/prawns/quorn and simmer for 10 minutes. Chop spring onions and coriander and throw in. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove lemongrass before serving.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Kat73

• Administrator
Home remedies
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 09:01:14 pm »
I like the sound of that one Tea, what sort of stock should it be?  Could struggle finding the paste, sauce and lemongrass - do any of the big supermarkets carry any of it do you know?

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 06:56:43 am »
Waitrose sell lemon grass and Tom Yum paste and I can vouch for the magical powers of Tom Yum soup.

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 10:00:49 am »
Me too. Guaranteed to knock blocked sinuses flying (and give you a lovely warm glow to boot). Kat, most of the supermarkets stock tom yum paste and lemon grass these days so hopefully you won't have a prob.  :)

Tea, being (if I recall correctly) of Jewish extraction, do you have any traditional chicken broth recipes you could share? I'd like to try a 'family' recipe if you have such a thing.

Going back to remedies, in our family we always had inhalations when we had colds and I still use the same ingredients now. You need a teaspoon of Vicks and two of Friars Balsam (if you can't get FB use Olbas Oil) and enough boiling water to half fill your chosen recepticle. Then stick a towel over your head and inhale the steam. Works a treat it does, and it's lovely on your facial pores too.  ;D
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Kat73

• Administrator
Home remedies
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 10:38:58 am »
Cheers folks, will have to see who's next passing a supermarket and could have a look for me, tom yum soup sounds like the way to go!

Steam inhalers are always fab and you're bang on, they do wonders for your skin! :D

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 02:54:27 pm »
Any stock you like will do, I use plain old vegetable boullion stock. ASDA, Tesco and Sainsburys all carry tom yam paste and lemongrass up here. However, if you buy lemongrass remember you can freeze it and then use it from frozen in future. This soup freezes well too.

I will do the recipe for Jewish Penicillin later with the kneidlach!

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 10:49:35 pm »
Jewish Penicillin

1 large kosher chicken
1 unpeeled large white onion, halved
1 stick of celery, halved
2 large carrots, cut into large chunks
Fresh parsley (the curly sort)
Bay leaves (2/3)
Kosher salt
1/2 tsp mixed peppercorns

In the largest pan you own (or can borrow): add all ingredients (yes, you leave the skin on the onion, don't peel it) and cover with water. Bring to the boil then turn down to lowest heat and simmer for at least 2 hours. Strain through a muslin lined sieve over a bowl until you have a clear, golden broth. Season and serve.

To be echt, you have to serve with kneidlach:

1 egg
30g schmaltz, (or margarine)
3 tbsp water
100g medium matzo meal
Salt & Pepper

Melt schmaltz/margarine and whisk in egg, whisk in water, whisk in salt & pepper and then fold in the matzo meal. You should have a rough paste, chill it in the fridge for about an hour. Boil a pan of water and add in balls (about the size of a golf ball!), then simmer for about 30 minutes: they will float when they are cooked. Add to soup.

They will allegedly taste better if you use schmaltz. My aunt used to keep schmaltz from everything she cooked in a special pot and they even used to spread it on bread, she also made roast potatoes with it. If you skim your broth you will get a little schmaltz, but not enough. I like to put parsley in my kneidlach to make them herby. Now you're going to ask what to so if you can't get matzo meal - matzo meal is just fine kosher cracker crumbs, you can just whack crackers in a processor or bash them with a rolling pin until they're small crumbs.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 12:59:22 pm »
Cool! Thanks, Tea, that looks wonderful and I shall definitely be giving it a go.  :)

Teflon

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 01:30:37 pm »
Teflons cure for gastic distress, general meh and unknown sources of not being yourself - have a dump.

I learnt this from Uncle Jock my faithful black Labrador who would ask to go out with a face like thunder, leave a trap for me for when I am next mowing, then come back in like a 3 month old puppy. Nothing made him happier, except maybe a bag of jelly tots, having introduced this practice to my own lifestyle regime I can confirm it works. (not crapping on the lawn I should point out)

And for the common cold, I prescribe getting drunk. Then the next day you can blame the hangover on the cold, and the cold on the hangover, either way you get out of chores and get to stay in bed, having had an awesome ***** up.

No need to thank me, these are public service announcements.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 02:52:36 pm »
Thanks @Teflon!

Kat73

• Administrator
Home remedies
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 04:11:25 pm »
Teffers you are barmy but we loves ya! ;D ;D ;D

TG

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 04:44:32 pm »
I found this and thought it might interest you, I have to stress I have not tried this, so you can't hold me responsible but it's interesting if nothing else:

Onions are mostly used in our kitchens to spice up food.

We have heard lately that if put them under your feet and then put on your socks before going to sleep at night and they can alleviate fever-like symptoms, flu and cold.
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 06:34:49 pm »
(not crapping on the lawn I should point out)

Spoilsport.... :-\  ;)

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 09:52:33 pm »
I found this and thought it might interest you, I have to stress I have not tried this, so you can't hold me responsible but it's interesting if nothing else:

Onions are mostly used in our kitchens to spice up food.

We have heard lately that if put them under your feet and then put on your socks before going to sleep at night and they can alleviate fever-like symptoms, flu and cold.

That would probably work - you would smell so oniony that no human would come within 6 feet to infect you with anything in the first place!! Garlic would work too I reckon!!