Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 2  (Read 2989 times)

LyndsayG

Day 2
« on: January 24, 2016, 11:59:28 am »
Day 2 and nothing's changed in my life apart from the fact that I'm feeling different. Can't put my finger on it exactly but I can only describe myself as feeling a bit edgy and vulnerable. Maybe I'm feeling sorry for myself but I'm trying very hard to look at what I'm doing in a totally positive way and trying hard to make it work.

This morning I treated myself to a long lie in for a change but really it was an attempt to make the day a bit shorter - yesterday was okay but it felt as if the day would never end. I'm beginning to realize how much I've allowed myself to depend on smoking. Some days I wouldn't smoke very many at all but I always had the reassurance that they were there for whenever I needed them. Now I have to teach myself that I don't need them and never did. If only I'd given up years ago......................

Anyway I'm feeling fine apart from the fact that there have been a couple of times this morning when I would have loved a cigarette - the first one with my tea after breakfast and the second one just now when I had a cup of coffee. I think the coffee one was the hardest and I did miss smoking then. The feeling's passed now though and I hope I'll get used to this quit soon.

Still feeling positive and I've no regrets at all. I should have done this before and I know it.

Really appreciating all of your support and you'd be surprised at how it is helping me.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:04:30 pm by Kat73 »

The following users thanked this post: Kat73, Skiddaw, Sally

Kat73

• Administrator
Re: Day 2
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:11:45 pm »
WOOHOO FOR DAY TWO!!! :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

Well done @LyndsayG, you're up and running now!  Listen, there's no shame in hiding under the duvet - loads of us did a whole lot of early nights, long lie-ins and extended baths to help keep us in a place where we wouldn't normally smoke and it's not a cop out because it works!

It does leave a huge hole in your day to start with, doesn't it?  The joy of it is that you can now fill that time with something else - if you never had time for a second cuppa in the morning, now you do, if you were always too pressed for time to do your make-up now's your chance, whatever you can do for yourself that fills the gap and makes you feel good is the way to go.

It's a huge adjustment petal but you really can do it, after all, the world is full of ex-smokers so if they can make it then so can you!
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

The following users thanked this post: Skiddaw, LyndsayG

Debbie

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 12:54:10 pm »
Great start @LyndsayG. Day by day it does get easier. Its not just the mind games its the aches and pains that suddenly appear too. The low mood is a stinker. But they dont last forever. I came out the otherside a couple of days ago. Yes im taking vitamins and St johns wort but they are helping.
I dont want to scare you but prepare you and let you know there is light at the end of the tunnel. X

TG

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 05:02:44 pm »
Well done @LyndsayG you sound so assured at the moment and day two very nearly done  :hug: :hug:
Brilliant stuff  ;D ;D
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 05:16:17 pm »
@LyndsayG , really, really pleased for you. That's fantastic and as @TG says, the day is well on the way to being done with. I have such admiration for you for not only gritting your teeth and starting the journey to permanent freedom with such aplomb but for doing it cold turkey (something I know I would never have been capable of). Fair play to you!!  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :) :) :)

The psychological adjustment will take time and everything will feel rather odd for a while but as your brain starts to re-wire (a process that will already have started) things will vfgbbbbbbbbbbbbb (whoops! Cat just walked across key board.... ;D) things will form a different shape and you'll soon get used to a 'new' normal. I remember well the sense of having all that additional time on my hands (the house was never so clean as it was during those first few weeks) but it didn't take long for me to fill it.  :)

May the rest of the day fly past and just remember that you'll never have to get through Day Two ever again.  :hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:20:07 pm by Skiddaw »
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: LyndsayG

Nick_82

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 09:29:11 pm »
Well done @LyndsayG, really great you are so positive. Doing two days is a huge achievement!  :foundbeer:

LyndsayG

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 11:29:16 pm »
2 days under my belt now and it feels good to be able to come on here and sing it from the rooftops. It's lovely to know there's help and support on here from people who know how quitting feels. Not smoking is such a big thing to me but most of the people I know who don't smoke would probably just be thinking 'Get over yourself' and of course I know they'd be right.

This morning was the worst - missing that cigarette after breakfast and especially the one I usually have with a mid morning coffee. The rest of the day hasn't been too bad apart from a few times when I've automatically thought about smoking - after meals mostly and earlier on this evening.

I think I told you I had a really bad cough that I know was down to smoking. I don't know if it's just wishful thinking or my imagination running away with me but already it seems so much better - that has to tell me something.

My appetite has increased - not good - and I definitely don't want to compensate smoking by eating more. I weighed myself this morning and I'm already about 10 lbs heavier than I feel comfortable with so I need to keep an eye on that as well. For the moment though I'm just happy to have found this forum and not to have smoked for more than 48 hours.

I'll post tomorrow on Day 3 because I know that this is giving me the incentive to actually do this. Yes I'm still feeling a bit lost without my cigarettes but deep down it's a good feeling.

Hope everyone else is doing well and thank you all for being there.

The following users thanked this post: Skiddaw

TG

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 12:41:29 am »
Brilliant @LyndsayG you a doing so amazingly well. You are already changing from that lady that came on here full of fear. To someone that is proud of her achievements ( so you should ). But you are doing this, so well.

The forum is here for you. We will talk to you anytime about smoking. Cheer you on and understand if you need to rant, we have been there, and really do understand. My partner still smokes and even though he is proud of me and so are my friends, but they seem to think it should all be done and dusted after a couple of weeks, of course in reality it isn't like that.

You use every room, it spurs you on and gives you the next target, which is why it is done like this.
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 04:24:36 am »
@LyndsayG  you are doing very well and you should be proud of yourself. Just keep on moving through those rooms ;D

From memory I stopped coughing pretty soon after I quit. I don't cough much now but I sound like a Walrus ;D when I do.

I did eat a lot of chocolate in the early days, but I wouldn't advise that.