Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Not quite what I expected - Day 1  (Read 4448 times)

LyndsayG

Not quite what I expected - Day 1
« on: January 23, 2016, 08:04:10 pm »
Well so far Day 1 of my quit has not been as I expected:

I had my last cigarette at about 10pm yesterday feeling apprehensive but positive about what today would bring. As a smoker for over 30 years I was ready for anything but strangely enough today hasn't been a problem - well not so far.

I seem to have got through the day without thinking about smoking much but I think that's because weekends are fairly busy in our house with quite a lot of comings and goings and ins and outs. Things have quietened down now though and I'm able to relax. I think reality is beginning to sink in.

A cigarette right now would be heaven but I'm pushing this thought out of my mind and hoping this isn't the start of what's to come. Normally I would have made time to smoke at least 6 or seven cigarettes during the course of the day so I'm thankful I've managed to get this far without too much trouble.

I can't really describe how I'm feeling right now, not exactly craving a cigarette but feeling very strange that I'm going to have learn to live without them in the future. I've made my mind up that it has to be done and I'm telling myself that it's not going to be too hard. :-\

At least I've made a start though and believe me for me that really is something.

Lyndsay 

The following users thanked this post: Kat73, Skiddaw

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
Re: Not quite what I expected - Day 1
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 08:21:55 pm »
Welcome to the quit zone.  I found the first few days odd, too.   :nobeer: However, you can and will get through it just be reading all the fab posts on here.

:foundbeer:
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

The following users thanked this post: LyndsayG

TG

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 08:26:25 pm »
Really pleased to see you have had a good first day. Positivity goes along, long way in quitting. If you can keep that going, you never know you could be one of those lucky ones. Some do have an easy quit. I do know saying whatever happens I'm done with smoking, I'm a non-smoker and I'm not going to go back. Really does help. We can make it harder on ourselves.

Well done @LyndsayG getting the first day done is a major achievement, be proud, very proud.

Palm Springs commercial photography
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

Debbie

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 09:08:16 pm »
Sometimes the thought of doing something is more scary than doing it. Glad you havent found it hard so far. We are all different some find it harder further down the line.
Being postive helps and dont think about never having a fag again just think just not today or you might panic x

Titch

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 09:10:12 pm »
Congratulations Lindsay on taking that plunge into day one. Well another hour and you will be jumping straight into day two. How good does that sound. Nice early night and when you wake up you will be halfway through day two. Rooting for you all the way xx
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

LyndsayG

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 10:10:12 pm »
Thanks everyone. Another 15 minutes or so and I'll have managed 24 hours smoke free. A small step but one in the right direction at long last. I somehow have the feeling that tomorrow is going to be harder than today now that what I'm doing has sunk in and for some reason I'm feeling a bit deflated now. That didn't take long so I hope I'm not going to let this quit turn me into a miserable moaner.  Trying to think of the positives and telling myself to get a grip and just get on with it.

For all that I'm pleased I've made a start, no going back now. ;)

Sally

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 11:40:45 pm »
So pleased to read how well your day one went.  If you do begin to struggle just get through an hour or day at a time.  You have a a lovely positive outlook on your quit already focussing on all the good thing and that's a huge help, rather than thinking you're giving up and missing out.  Hope your Day 2 is kind to you. 
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 12:30:24 am »
Great work on having a good day 1 and here's to a better day two :)

TG

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 01:11:59 am »
Well at this time of the evening you are on day two, brilliant, you can do this. Just look at the day.
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 04:28:54 am »
That's great Lyndsay, you're up and running now! :foundbeer:

Yep, the first few days feel very surreal - between your body trying to work out what the heck is going on (after all, it's been receiving doses of poison almost hourly for years and years and suddenly it's stopped), your smoking monster being cuddled by the Champix but still wriggling as it realises something has changed and your poor brain saying "it's time for a smoke, if you're not going to smoke then what are you going to do?" it's all a bit weird.

Just concentrate on getting through your day and don't think about tomorrow, staying quit in the here and now is all it takes to get you through.  The best advice I can give you is to do whatever you can to shut down those thoughts of smoking as quickly as you can - craves need airtime in your head to feed on - so if you can develop the mental discipline to divert yourself and refuse to dwell on the idea then they WILL go away.  It's a big ask in those early days and takes real determination but if you can fight your way free of them now, then it'll be easier to deal with the next time.

Well done for getting through Day 1 petal, it's a massive achievement and one that no-one here underestimates the importance of.

Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 10:51:19 am »
Morning @LyndsayG, and HUGE congratulations from me for having got Day One under your belt.  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

One thing you can rely upon is that you'll not know how you're going to feel from one day (or hour, or minute) to the next. The early days are odd, no doubt about it (I remember feeling totally disembodied) but the other thing you can rely upon is that you WILL come through it if you can persevere and hold on to your quit. Everyone will advise you not to let yourself dwell upon the bigger picture and to look after the minutes (because the days & weeks will look after themselves) which is far from easy, but if you can try to do that it really does help and it really is surprisng how quickly you find yourself looking back over smoke-free months and wondering how on earth you've come so far.  ;D

May your Day Two be as easy as it can possibly be.  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 12:06:07 pm »
Moving your Day 2 post into a separate thread - hope that's ok @LyndsayG  :)
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13