Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Whole Food  (Read 1690 times)

seanh

• My design portfolio
Whole Food
« on: January 11, 2016, 03:44:07 pm »
So, for last 12 months or so, my wife and I have been eating nothing by whole foods, and preparing everything from scratch so basically, nothing we eat comes pre-packaged aside from things like herbs and nuts - After doing that for the first 3 months or so, I lost nearly 2 stone, without doing anything and experienced the best food I've ever tasted.

I can't stress enough how much better you feel after eating great food for a while - It also works well with the no smoking thing, because you just feel much better all round.

In terms of cost, it costs us about £10 a week extra which isn't bad, but the only downside is the preparation, which is what would put most people off. Our average evening meal takes around an hour and a half to 2 hours to prepare which can be a bit of a bugger at time, but the food at the end makes it worth while.

The only other downside, after 12 months of it, is that if i eat rubbish food now like a Domino's pizza for example or a Chinese my body really hurts me for it, it really makes me feel sick and yucky so if you do it for a while you kinda gotta stick with it.  :D

So yeah, you guys should give it a go - Totally worth it. There are some amazing recipe books out there, such as Hemsley and Hemsley, Deliciously Ella etc.

Debbie

Re: Whole Food
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 04:28:18 pm »
I agree about the food thing. Thats how I lost my weight last year and I cut out bread. You cant beat food that hasnt come out of a box or processed. I just make double of everything then freeze it. Then when im short for time. i pull out a meal from the freezer and warm it up. X SIMPLES

seanh

• My design portfolio
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 04:47:18 pm »
I agree about the food thing. Thats how I lost my weight last year and I cut out bread. You cant beat food that hasnt come out of a box or processed. I just make double of everything then freeze it. Then when im short for time. i pull out a meal from the freezer and warm it up. X SIMPLES

That's cool - Freezing is a neat idea. not sure why we haven't done that yet. Haha. but you know, cooking is fun.  :D

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 05:34:48 pm »
My grandmother used to advocate, "You are what you eat" and "A little of what you fancy does you good."

I look at my current waistline and think how much I wished I had followed this advice but hindsight with 20:20 vision is wonderful.  However, I think time restraints and stress are the two main reasons I tend to resort to ready meals a lot and because they can actually be cheaper when you are on a budget who have two teens with very different tastes when it comes to food.

2016 is the year to re-evaluate and improve so this is high on the agenda.

kk just because I can - he, he.
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

seanh

• My design portfolio
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 06:04:18 pm »
My grandmother used to advocate, "You are what you eat" and "A little of what you fancy does you good."

I look at my current waistline and think how much I wished I had followed this advice but hindsight with 20:20 vision is wonderful.  However, I think time restraints and stress are the two main reasons I tend to resort to ready meals a lot and because they can actually be cheaper when you are on a budget who have two teens with very different tastes when it comes to food.

2016 is the year to re-evaluate and improve so this is high on the agenda.

kk just because I can - he, he.

Yes you are correct, however ready meals are one of the worst. They contain so much sugar and other preservatives. If you can't go all whole foods because of time restraints and so, I have a few tips for you.

Fat in foods is not bad for you. Sugar is. So, do not be tempted to buy low or zero fat foods because once you take all the fat out of food, it becomes flavourless, because the fat is what gives it the great flavours (for the most part) and the best way to replace those flavours from a food manufacturing perspective is with a variety of sugars and glucose and sugar is the enemy because once your body has taken in the amount of sugar it needs for that day, any excess will get filtered through the pancreas and the insulin created from that will turn that sugar into fat, and it'll get stored in your body, so really, low fat foods are worse for you.  ;D

Another tip for you - Avoid bread - Not many people know this but when you eat bread, your body actually turns most of it into 'sugar' and so the cycle begins again. People think they're being really good when they have a salad sandwich every day for lunch but the bread is killing any progress you make.

You can also do other little things to help too, like replacing normal pasta with buckwheat pasta, which is amazing, and adding seeds and nuts to a salad etc.

Im going off on a tangent now I apologise.  ;) But you get the idea. 

The following users thanked this post: Debbie, Lostie, Sally